How to install "devcon" into the windows 8?

In summary, Nate Duong is having trouble installing devcon into Windows 8 and receiving an error message when trying to run the app. He has searched for more information and found that it may only work for Windows 7. Despite this, he is still trying to find a solution to enable/disable USB ports. He has also included a code for reference and a link to a potential solution.
Nate Duong
Dear Group,

I am trying to install devcon into the windows 8,

when I follow the instruction, everything looks fine, but when I type devcon on the command window, it shows the message "This app can not run on your PC"

I do not know what is going on, and tried to search for more information, people says "devcon" just work for windows 7 not for 8,

You know the devcon function will help to enable/disable USB port. So I am still trying.

If anyone have any ideal to fix that problem or better ideal to enable and disable USB port, please help.

Nate Duong.

and here is the code for reference:

######################@echo off
rem disable/enable 5 USB com ports
rem devcon disable USB\VID_16C0*
rem devcon disable "@USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608\6&6A3BB49&0&4"
rem devcon disable "@USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608\5&1DF0FBC&0&3"
rem ping -w 1000 -n 2 1.1.1.1 >nul
rem devcon enable "@USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608\5&1DF0FBC&0&3"
rem devcon enable "@USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608\6&6A3BB49&0&4"
rem devcon enable USB\VID_16C0*
ping -w 1000 -n 2 1.1.1.1 >nul
#############

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. How do I download "devcon" for Windows 8?

The "devcon" utility is not available for direct download. It is included in the Windows Driver Kit (WDK), which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) website. You will need to register for a free account on MSDN and then download the appropriate version of the WDK for your operating system.

2. Can I install "devcon" on Windows 8 Home edition?

No, "devcon" can only be installed on the Professional, Enterprise, or Education editions of Windows 8. These editions have access to the Device Manager and command prompt, which are required for using "devcon".

3. How do I install "devcon" on Windows 8?

After downloading the WDK, run the installer and select "Custom" installation. In the list of features, expand the "Build Environments" category and select "Windows Driver Kit Tools". Click "Install" and follow the prompts to complete the installation. Once finished, you can access "devcon" from the command prompt.

4. What is the purpose of "devcon" in Windows 8?

"Devcon" is a command-line tool that allows users to manage and troubleshoot devices and drivers on Windows 8. It can be used to enable/disable devices, update drivers, and gather information about devices and drivers on the system.

5. Is there a graphical user interface (GUI) for "devcon" on Windows 8?

No, "devcon" is a command-line tool and does not have a GUI. However, there are third-party programs that offer a GUI for "devcon", such as DevManView and DriverView.