How to Integrate [1/(x^2 + 3)] dx?

In summary, the conversation discussed the integral ##\int \frac{1}{x^2 + 3} \ dx## and the steps to solve it using the substitution method. The final result was ##\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{x}{\sqrt{3}} \right) + C## and it was suggested to check the answer by differentiating it.
askor
What is ##\int \frac{1}{x^2 + 3} \ dx##?

This is my attempt:

triangle.PNG

##x = \sqrt{3} \tan \theta## --> ##dx = \sqrt{3} \sec^2 \theta \ d\theta##

##x^2 + 3 = (\sqrt{3} \tan \theta)^2 + 3##
##= 3 \tan^2 \theta + 3##
##= 3 (\tan^2 \theta + 1)##
##= 3 \sec^2\theta##

##\int \frac{1}{x^2 + 3} \ dx = \int \frac{1}{3 \sec^2\theta} (\sqrt{3} \sec^2 \theta \ d\theta)##
##= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \int d\theta##
##= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \theta + C##

Is there any next steps?

Is this correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always check an integral for yourself by differentiating your answer to see whether you get the original integrand.

I know, but I am still don't understand what should I do with the theta.

askor said:
I know, but I am still don't understand what should I do with the theta.
You have ##x = \sqrt 3 \tan \theta##. That means that ##\theta = \tan^{-1}\big (\dfrac x {\sqrt 3} \big )##

Thank you very much, now I understand. So the final result is ##\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{\sqrt{3}x}{3} \right) + C##

askor said:
Thank you very much, now I understand. So the final result is ##\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{x}{\sqrt{3}} \right) + C##
Yes. And you can check by differentiating that.

What is the formula for integrating 1/(x^2 + 3) dx?

The formula for integrating 1/(x^2 + 3) dx is ∫(1/(x^2 + 3)) dx = (1/√3)tan^-1(x/√3) + C.

What is the method for integrating 1/(x^2 + 3) dx?

The method for integrating 1/(x^2 + 3) dx is using the substitution u = x/√3, which transforms the integral into ∫(1/(u^2 + 1)) du. This can then be integrated using the inverse tangent function.

What is the domain of integration for 1/(x^2 + 3) dx?

The domain of integration for 1/(x^2 + 3) dx is all real numbers except for x = ±√3. This is because the denominator, x^2 + 3, cannot be equal to 0.

What is the graph of 1/(x^2 + 3) dx?

The graph of 1/(x^2 + 3) dx is a hyperbolic curve that approaches the x-axis as x approaches ±∞. It has a vertical asymptote at x = ±√3 and a horizontal asymptote at y = 0.

What are some real-life applications of integrating 1/(x^2 + 3) dx?

Some real-life applications of integrating 1/(x^2 + 3) dx include calculating the work done by a force, calculating the area under a curve, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.