How to interpret Bell's theorem correctly

In summary, the author suggests that the hidden variable represents the binary value (yes/no) that determines if the photon is, or is not, going to pass the filter, independent of the oriëntation of the filter. However, this interpretation is not correct, as the binary value can in general depend on both the orientation of the fiter and the value of the hidden variable.
entropy1
There's something I don't quite get about most illustrations about Bell's inequality theorem. I will explain what:

Consider a pair of entangled photons fired at two arbitrarily oriented polarizers. I most explications, it seems the author suggests that the hidden variable represents the binary value (yes/no) that determines if the photon is, or is not, going to pass the filter, independent of the oriëntation of the filter.

This seems a little silly to me however. If that would be the case, either the photon already 'knew' the position of the filter, or the filter has no influence whatsoever! It would make more sense to me if the hidden variable was a prescription of 'how to act' if it would encounter the filter in a certain spatial oriëntiation. Then the filter in conjunction with the hidden variable would determine if the photon would pass or not!

The proof would still hold because the decision to pass or not would still be local.

So, what is the correct interpretation of Bell's theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
There's something I don't quite get about most illustrations about Bell's inequality theorem. I will explain what:

Consider a pair of entangled photons fired at two arbitrarily oriented polarizers. I most explications, it seems the author suggests that the hidden variable represents the binary value (yes/no) that determines if the photon is, or is not, going to pass the filter, independent of the oriëntation of the filter.
Not at all. In Bell's original papers (and all later refinements) the binary value (i.e. outcome) can in general depend on both the orientation of the fiter and the value of the hidden variable.

Likes entropy1
Heinera said:
Not at all. In Bell's original papers (and all later refinements) the binary value (i.e. outcome) can in general depend on both the orientation of the fiter and the value of the hidden variable.

That's my interpration too!

UPDATE: I see now that I misinterpreted the explanations. It is a subtle use of language, and english is not my motherlanguage, as you may have guessed... :wink: And also, it probably is very difficult to explain!

Last edited:

1. What is Bell's theorem and why is it important?

Bell's theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that certain predictions of quantum mechanics cannot be explained by any local hidden variable theory. This is important because it shows that quantum mechanics is a complete theory that cannot be reduced to classical principles.

2. What does it mean to interpret Bell's theorem correctly?

To interpret Bell's theorem correctly means to understand and apply its implications accurately. This includes recognizing the limitations of local hidden variable theories and accepting that quantum mechanics is a complete theory.

3. How does Bell's theorem impact our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Bell's theorem has a significant impact on our understanding of quantum mechanics as it demonstrates that there are phenomena that cannot be explained by classical principles. This challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect and requires us to accept the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Bell's theorem?

One common misconception about Bell's theorem is that it proves the existence of non-local interactions, which is not the case. Another misconception is that it disproves determinism, when in fact it only addresses the limitations of local hidden variable theories.

5. How can we apply Bell's theorem in practical situations?

Bell's theorem has practical applications in quantum information processing, cryptography, and quantum computing. It also provides a framework for testing the validity of quantum mechanics in experiments and can help guide the development of new technologies based on quantum principles.