How to interpret this new Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter?

In summary, the KPF team successfully captured a first light spectrum of Jupiter with the next-generation instrument last night, on Wednesday, November 9. Despite Jupiter being composed mostly of hydrogen and helium, the spectrometer picture shows a complex mixture of hundreds of elements, including trace amounts of methane, water vapor, ammonia, silicon-based compounds, carbon, ethane, hydrogen sulfide, neon, oxygen, phosphine, sulfur, and frozen ammonia. Spectroscopy has been used for over 150 years to identify and measure the concentrations of these elements, and it does not require AI or computers. The atmosphere of Jupiter contains 11 known elements, and scientists have been able to identify multiple lines from each element in the planet's spectrum.
Dave Gungan
Last night, on Wednesday, November 9, the KPF team successfully captured a first light spectrum of Jupiter with the next-generation instrument

This spectrometer picture of Jupiter has just been taken by the Keck, but I don't understand it. Wiki says Jupter is "89%±2.0% hydrogen" and
"10%±2.0% helium", but that spectrometer picture looks like Jupiter has 100s of element in it, if each of those blank bits are seperate elements? Could someone please clarify my confusion.

The origional atricle I found the picture from this at phys.org

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dave Gungan said:
Last night, on Wednesday, November 9, the KPF team successfully captured a first light spectrum of Jupiter with the next-generation instrument

This spectrometer picture of Jupiter has just been taken by the Keck, but I don't understand it. Wiki says Jupter is "89%±2.0% hydrogen" and
"10%±2.0% helium", but that spectrometer picture looks like Jupiter has 100s of element in it, if each of those blank bits are seperate elements? Could someone please clarify my confusion.

The origional atricle I found the picture from this at phys.org
If I had to guess, I would say that the spectrometer design is good enough to measure atmospheric components in the part-per-million (ppm) range.

Dave Gungan said:
looks like Jupiter has 100s of element in it
There aren't 100's of elements. Just under 100 in nature.

There can, however, be hundreds of spectral lines.

OK, IDK, this is way above my pay grade. However, it seems like you are mixing qualitative analysis with quantitative analysis. Sure, there's 100's of things, but most of them may be just a few types.

Dave Gungan said:
Jupiter is composed of a great many things. It is mostly hydrogen and helium, but it also has other stuff. Per wiki:
Jupiter's upper atmosphere is about 90% hydrogen and 10% helium by volume. Since helium atoms are more massive than hydrogen molecules, Jupiter's atmosphere is approximately 24% helium by mass. The atmosphere contains trace amounts of methane, water vapour, ammonia, and silicon-based compounds. There are also fractional amounts of carbon, ethane, hydrogen sulfide, neon, oxygen, phosphine, and sulfur. The outermost layer of the atmosphere contains crystals of frozen ammonia. Through infrared and ultraviolet measurements, trace amounts of benzene and other hydrocarbons have also been found. The interior of Jupiter contains denser materials—by mass it is roughly 71% hydrogen, 24% helium, and 5% other elements.
All of these will show up in a spectrograph to some extent.

Also, note that each absorption line in a spectrum doesn't represent a single element or chemical compound. Each element or compound generates multiple lines, though not all of them always show up in the visible range.

So that's a perfectly normal spectrum for a body made of "mostly 1 or 2 elements"?

Edit: I realise they will be other elements in the planet of course, but do they really manifest as that many absorption lines?

Dave Gungan said:
So that's a perfectly normal spectrum for a body made of "mostly 1 or 2 elements"?

Edit: I realise they will be other elements in the planet of course, but do they really manifest as that many absorption lines?
Yep. Even the Sun's spectrum is complicated, despite also being composed of mostly hydrogen and helium and being too hot for most compounds to form:
sun_spectrum_lines_noao_900x600.jpg

• Wow
Likes DennisN
Wow thanks, thats changed my misconception of each atom only having 1 line as seen on tv shows, which i should have known better from warnings about sources I read here.

Can scientists actually pull out the types and concentrations of each atom from such a complicated picture? with AI learning perhaps?

Dave Gungan said:
Can scientists actually pull out the types and concentrations of each atom from such a complicated picture?
Sure. Been doing it for more than 150 years. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectroscopy

Dave Gungan said:
with AI learning perhaps?
Nope. This predates AI. This predates computers.

Thanks I didnt realise it was so old.

Could anyone make a guess how many elements in the OP please? I'm curious just how good this new spectrometer is.

Dave Gungan said:
Can scientists actually pull out the types and concentrations of each atom from such a complicated picture? with AI learning perhaps?

Vanadium 50 said:
Nope. This predates AI. This predates computers.
Indeed. Joseph von Fraunhofer first observed dark lines in the Sun's spectrum around 1814, which was about a decade before photography was invented. 'Proper' spectroscopy began in 1859, when Gustav Kirchhoff and Robert Bunsen (the inventor of the lab device now called a 'Bunsen Burner') discovered the cause of the dark lines in stellar spectra and then identified 16 elements in the Sun's spectrum over the next few years.

Dave Gungan said:
Wow thanks, thats changed my misconception of each atom only having 1 line as seen on tv shows, which i should have known better from warnings about sources I read here.
Each atom can have potentially a great many spectra lines, as each line corresponds to a transition between two particular electronic states, commonly described as electrons moving between energy levels. Hydrogen has 4 lines in the visible spectrum, but many more outside of that. Here's an image with many of them:
500px-Hydrogen_spectrum.svg.png

Note that this is only for a single atom with only a single electron. Atoms with multiple electrons have far more complicated spectra. Iron itself is known to have around 37,000 spectral lines (Part 7 in this paper), of which about 25,000 have been identified and categorized.

Edit: Just a piece of trivia, but did you know that the spectral lines of helium were observed in the Sun's spectrum before helium was ever discovered? The discovery of these lines spurred an investigation from the 1860's to the 1890's when helium was finally isolated in 1895. So, in effect, helium was discovered in the Sun before it was discovered on Earth. Hence its name, helium, after helios, which is the Greek word for Sun.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, collinsmark and pinball1970
I maybe missing something but won't the spectrum be of reflected sun light? So it will show the solar spectrum with some modifications due to the refective properties of Jupiter's atmosphere.
Regards Andrew

andrew s 1905 said:
I maybe missing something but won't the spectrum be of reflected sun light? So it will show the solar spectrum with some modifications due to the refective properties of Jupiter's atmosphere.
Regards Andrew
Yes, that makes sense to me. I'm guessing that the Sun's spectrum can be 'subtracted' from Jupiter's or something in order to get the actual spectrum of Jupiter though.

Likes andrew s 1905

1. What is a Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter?

A Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter is an image created using the Keck telescope, which is a powerful telescope located in Hawaii. The image shows the spectrum, or range of wavelengths, of light emitted or reflected by Jupiter's atmosphere.

2. How is a Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter interpreted?

To interpret a Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter, scientists analyze the wavelengths of light present in the image. Each wavelength corresponds to a specific element or molecule present in Jupiter's atmosphere, allowing scientists to identify and study the composition of the planet's atmosphere.

3. What can we learn from a Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter?

A Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter can provide valuable information about the composition and behavior of the planet's atmosphere. By analyzing the wavelengths of light, scientists can determine the presence of certain elements and molecules, as well as study the temperature, pressure, and movement of gases in Jupiter's atmosphere.

4. How does a Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter compare to other images of the planet?

A Keck spectrum picture of Jupiter is different from other images of the planet because it shows the spectrum of light rather than just a visual representation. This allows scientists to gather more detailed information about the composition and behavior of Jupiter's atmosphere.

5. How often are new Keck spectrum pictures of Jupiter taken?

New Keck spectrum pictures of Jupiter are taken regularly, depending on the research needs and availability of the Keck telescope. Some pictures may be taken daily, while others may be taken less frequently. The frequency of new images also depends on the movements and changes in Jupiter's atmosphere that scientists want to capture and study.

Back