How to know that your Arduino can handle a servo motor?

In summary: If you are doing something that will require more current than the arduino can provide, you will need to find a way to provide that current.
trickybilly
I am very new to electronics. How to know if my Arduino can handle a motor? I have a "Carson-model Sport 500502015 CS3 Reflex racing servo" - is it ok and how to know? Afrotechmods said that plugging a bigger motor (anything that draws more than a few mA) would be bad for an Arduino. How can I know if it will be too much for an Arduino? I have 2 of these mentioned motors and 2 "little blue" 9G microservos. If I join all 4 for a robotic arm will that be too much?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you tell us what Arduino you have?

Arduino UNO R3

I believe you are talking about servos used in RC models. If so - it can't, most servos can draw quite a current (often measured in amperes) while the Arduino survives up to tens mA loads (I am not sure now whether it is 50 mA total or 200 mA total, but we are definitely speaking an order of magnitude difference).

However, when driving such a servo you don't power it from the Arduino. Arduino is there just to send the controlling PWM signal, and it can be done directly.

Servo has three wires - black goes to a common ground, red goes to the power (5 V from the BEC or UBEC or something like that), third goes to the PWM source, be it the receiver or the Arduino or whatever. All three wires are part of one cable together and typical receiver supplies the necessary power, so there is only one plug, but it doesn't have to be this way.

Likes donpacino
I also want to make a note...
An arduino is really just a special microcontroller. Normal micrcontroller you can NEVER pull current more than a few mAs out of. With arduino, there is a 5V rail that is supplied that is also used to power the microcontroller on the board. This means you can pull a few hundred mA from it (which is probably not enough for your application).

If it is enough for your application, don't fall into the trap of thinking it is the norm. You can only do this because arduinos are designed for easy prototyping.

1. How do I determine if my Arduino is compatible with a servo motor?

To know if your Arduino can handle a servo motor, you need to check the voltage and current requirements of the servo motor and compare it with the specifications of your Arduino. Most Arduino boards can handle servo motors that operate at 5V and draw less than 1A of current.

2. What is the maximum number of servo motors that my Arduino can handle?

The maximum number of servo motors that an Arduino can handle depends on the number of available pins that can be used for PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) control. For example, an Arduino Uno has 6 PWM pins, which means it can control up to 6 servo motors simultaneously.

3. Can I use a servo motor that operates at a different voltage than my Arduino?

No, it is not recommended to use a servo motor that operates at a different voltage than your Arduino. This can damage your Arduino and the servo motor. If you need to use a servo motor with a different voltage, you can use a voltage regulator or a separate power supply for the servo motor.

4. How do I connect a servo motor to my Arduino?

To connect a servo motor to your Arduino, you will need to use three wires - power, ground, and signal. The power and ground wires should be connected to the respective pins on your Arduino, while the signal wire should be connected to a PWM pin. You will also need to download and use a servo library to control the servo motor.

5. Can I control multiple servo motors with one Arduino?

Yes, you can control multiple servo motors with one Arduino by using a servo driver or multiplexer. These devices allow you to control multiple servo motors using fewer pins on your Arduino. You can also use a software-based approach by controlling the servo motors sequentially, but this may affect the performance of your project.