How to learn resolution in predicate logic?

In summary, the conversation discusses a guidance problem related to solving exam questions that require proving certain facts. The topic of concern is worth 10 marks out of 80 in the exam and appears regularly. The problem is presented in the form of a question and further steps are given on how to solve it, such as identifying what is known about the subject and using appropriate notation. The conversation ends with a suggestion to practice with more examples before moving on to more complex ones.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
resolution refutation in predicate logic
Relevant Equations
resolution refutation method etc.
This is not really a homework question so don't bother answering them. It is more of a guidance problem. This is what I find the hardest out of all topics.. Unfortunately, this topic is a fixed 10 marks question in our 80 marks exam. Comes every time.

The types of questions that I need to deal with my exams are like this-:
john likes all kinds of food.
apples are food
chicken is food
anything anyone eats and isn't killed by is food
bill eats peanuts and is still alive.
sue eats everything bill eats.
prove that john like peanuts using resolution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the steps towards solving problems like this:
  • We need to prove that John likes peanuts.
  • What do we know about John?
    • John likes all kinds of food.
  • So if we can prove that peanuts are food we are done.
  • What do we know about peanuts?
    • Bill eats peanuts and is still alive.
  • What do we know when someone eats something and is still alive?
    • Anything anyone eats and isn't killed by is food.
Put that together using whatever notation your course demands. Why don't you post a more complicated example and work through it until you get stuck?

• Informative
Likes shivajikobardan
pbuk said:
Here are the steps towards solving problems like this:
  • We need to prove that John likes peanuts.
  • What do we know about John?
    • John likes all kinds of food.
  • So if we can prove that peanuts are food we are done.
  • What do we know about peanuts?
    • Bill eats peanuts and is still alive.
  • What do we know when someone eats something and is still alive?
    • Anything anyone eats and isn't killed by is food.
Put that together using whatever notation your course demands. Why don't you post a more complicated example and work through it until you get stuck?
thanks bro. i am solving tons of examples first. will post complicated example soon.

1. What is resolution in predicate logic?

Resolution is a proof technique used in predicate logic to show that a statement is a logical consequence of a given set of statements. It involves breaking down complex statements into simpler ones and then using logical rules to derive a contradiction, thereby proving the original statement.

2. How do I learn resolution in predicate logic?

To learn resolution in predicate logic, it is important to first have a solid understanding of propositional logic and predicate logic. You should also familiarize yourself with the resolution rule and its various forms. Practice solving examples and exercises to gain a better understanding of the concept.

3. What are the benefits of learning resolution in predicate logic?

Learning resolution in predicate logic can help you improve your logical reasoning skills and enhance your ability to construct and evaluate arguments. It is also a useful tool for solving complex problems and proving mathematical theorems.

4. Are there any resources available to help me learn resolution in predicate logic?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn resolution in predicate logic. You can find online tutorials, textbooks, and practice exercises to supplement your learning. Additionally, you can seek guidance from a teacher or join a study group to further enhance your understanding.

5. How can I apply resolution in predicate logic to real-world problems?

Resolution in predicate logic can be applied to real-world problems in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy. It can help you analyze complex systems, identify patterns, and make logical deductions. It is also useful for solving problems in artificial intelligence, natural language processing, and automated reasoning.