How to learn resolution in predicate logic?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving that John likes peanuts using resolution in a logic language. The problem involves various assumptions and a conclusion, and the conversation provides a step-by-step approach to solving it. The conversation also introduces the necessary language and symbols for representing the problem.
shivajikobardan
This is not really a homework question so don't bother answering them. It is more of a guidance problem. This is what I find the hardest out of all topics.. Unfortunately, this topic is a fixed 10 marks question in our 80 marks exam. Comes every time.

The types of questions that I need to deal with my exams are like this-:
john likes all kinds of food.
apples are food
chicken is food
anything anyone eats and isn't killed by is food
bill eats peanuts and is still alive.
sue eats everything bill eats.
prove that john like peanuts using resolution.

Technology news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
This is not really a homework question so don't bother answering them.
In contrast, we try to answer questions if and only if they are not homework questions.

Let's introduce the language, or signature.

$L(x, y)$: $x$ likes $y$
$F(x)$: $x$ is food
$E(x,y)$: $x$ eats $y$
$K(x,y)$: $x$ kills $y$
$j$: John
$b$: Bill
$s$: Sue
$a$: apples
$c$: chicken
$p$: peanuts

Now let's write the assumptions and the alleged conclusion. I'll assume that the scope of quantifiers is minimal, e.g., $\forall x\forall y\,F(x)\land F(y)$ is understood as $(\forall x\forall y\,F(x))\land F(y)$ and not as $\forall x\forall y\,(F(x)\land F(y))$.

1. John likes all kinds of food: $\forall x\,(F(x)\to L(j, x))$.
2. Apples are food: $F(a)$.
3. Chicken is food: $F(c)$.
4. Anything anyone eats and isn't killed by is food: $\forall x\,[\exists y\,(E(y, x)\land\neg K(x,y))\to F(x)]$.
5. Bill eats peanuts and is still alive: $E(b,p)\land\neg K(p,b)$.
6. Sue eats everything Bill eats: $\forall x\,(E(b,x)\to E(s,x))$.

Conclusion. John like peanuts: $L(j,p)$.

Perhaps assumption 4 is worth discussing. Why are "anything" and "anyone" written as $\forall$ and $\exists$, respectively? I believe it is because "anything" is at the top level and "anyone" is in the premise of an implication. For example, "Anything is food" is written $\forall x\,F(x)$, but "If anyone eats peanuts, then peanuts are food" means "If there exists a person who eats peanuts, ..." and is written $(\exists x\,E(x, p))\to F(p)$. The latter formula is equivalent to $\forall x\,(E(x,p)\to F(p))$.

Let's convert formulas to prenex form, Skolem normal form and finally to disjuncts.

1. $\forall x\,(F(x)\to L(j, x))\equiv\forall x\,(\neg F(x)\lor L(j, x))\mapsto \neg F(x)\lor L(j, x)$.
2. $F(a)$ is already a disjunct.
3. $F(c)$.
4. $\forall x\,[\exists y\,(E(y, x)\land\neg K(x,y))\to F(x)]\\\equiv\forall x\forall y\,[E(y, x)\land\neg K(x,y)\to F(x)]\\\equiv\forall x\forall y\,[\neg(E(y, x)\land\neg K(x,y))\lor F(x)]\\\equiv\forall x\forall y\,[\neg E(y,x)\lor K(x,y)\lor F(x)]\\\mapsto \neg E(y,x)\lor K(x,y)\lor F(x).$
5. $E(b,p)\land\neg K(p,b)\mapsto E(b,p),\ \neg K(p,b)$.
6. $\forall x\,(E(b,x)\to E(s,x))\equiv\forall x\,(\neg E(b,x)\lor E(s,x))\mapsto \neg E(b,x)\lor E(s,x)$.

Add the negation of conclusion:

7. $\neg L(j,p)$.

Now proceed with resolution derivation.

8. Applying resolution to 1, 7 with substitution $[p/x]$ (i.e., substitution of $p$ for $x$) gives $\neg F(p)$.
9. Applying resolution to 4, 8 with substitution $[p/x]$ gives $\neg E(y,p)\lor K(p,y)$.
10. Applying resolution to the two disjuncts in 5 and to 9 with substitution $[b/y]$ gives first $K(p,b)$ and then the empty disjunct $\Box$.

Thus the negation of the conclusion is refuted and the conclusion itself is proved.

Resolution method is described in more detail in many textbooks, for example, "Logic For Computer Science" by J. Gallier and "A First Course in Logic" by S. Hedman.

1. What is resolution in predicate logic?

Resolution is a proof technique used in predicate logic to determine the validity or satisfiability of a logical formula. It involves identifying and eliminating any contradictory clauses in a set of logical statements to arrive at a conclusion.

2. How do I learn resolution in predicate logic?

The best way to learn resolution in predicate logic is to first understand the basics of propositional logic and predicate logic. Then, familiarize yourself with the rules and steps involved in the resolution process. Practice solving various examples and exercises to gain a better understanding of the technique.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using resolution in predicate logic?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using resolution in predicate logic include not identifying all possible resolutions, not correctly applying the rules of inference, and not keeping track of the negation of the original goal. It is important to be systematic and thorough in your approach to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can I use resolution in predicate logic to prove any logical formula?

No, resolution in predicate logic can only be used to prove the validity or satisfiability of a logical formula if it is in conjunctive normal form (CNF). If the formula is not in CNF, it can be transformed into an equivalent CNF form before applying resolution.

5. Are there any applications of resolution in predicate logic?

Yes, resolution is commonly used in automated theorem proving, artificial intelligence, and natural language processing. It is also useful in the verification of software and hardware systems, as well as in solving puzzles and logic games.