How to lift water up to 5 metres without using a pump?

In summary, sealing the container from where water is being lifted. Connecting it with a pressure vessel at some height which is containing steam and water with valve in between them. By default valve is closed. Now waiting for steam being cooled in the vessel that would create a vacuum inside the vessel. Then open the valve. One more thing vessel is kind of cylinder and Kind or cover is placed at top of inside the vessel which will go down during cooling of steam; so that I would be able to make vacuum that is effective as I am stopping any kind of evaporation or boiling.
Ravi Singh choudhary
I was asked how you can lift the water up to 5 meter but you are not allowed to use any kind of pump. What I thought; seal the container from where water is being lifted. Connect it with a pressure vessel at some height which is containing steam and water with valve in between them. By default valve is closed. Now wait for steam being cooled in the vessel that would create a vacuum inside the vessel. Then open the valve. One more thing vessel is kind of cylinder and Kind or cover is placed at top of inside the vessel which will go down during cooling of steam; so that I would be able to make vacuum that is effective as I am stopping any kind of evaporation or boiling. There is a provision of tap below vessel to drain out some water also. After all these things I ended with a reciprocating pump only.

Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) With the water in a container, use an elevator to lift the container - or a crane or just carry it.
or
2) Boil the water.
or
3) Place the container onto a land mine.

Likes kenyanchemist, rude man and Tazerfish
.Scott said:
1) With the water in a container, use an elevator to lift the container - or a crane or just carry it.
or
2) Boil the water.
or
3) Place the container onto a land mine.
Interesting :rolleyes:

Bucket chain .
Bucket wheel .
Rag pump .
Archimedian screw .
Balance crane .
Camel .
Labourer .

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
Be a tree?

Likes infactuality, mrspeedybob, Tazerfish and 1 other person
sophiecentaur said:
Be a tree?
That means capillary action :woot:

Ravi Singh choudhary said:
That means capillary action :woot:

yes and isn't a pump

Is "the water" flowing or static?

Fun thread
  1. Evaporate it, then catch the rain.
  2. Make a still with the condenser 5 m up
  3. Blow wind over water until waves are 5 m high.
  4. Waterspout.
  5. Freeze it, then throw snowballs
  6. Cloth treadmill on an incline, wet at the bottom and a wringer on top.
  7. A birdbath. Let the birds drink, then fly up and eliminate.
  8. A funnel feeding a tube at the base of a waterfall. (5m? Who knows?)
  9. A Catapult throwing water balloons.
  10. A Rocket
  11. Use an elephant with a long trunk.
  12. Put a plastic barrel with water in front of a wall. Run into it at high speed with a car.
Give me a day, I'll think of another dozen. I bet half the PF members can do the same .

Likes Shafia Zahin and Biker
Siphon action. Use a pipe more than 8m long

What is your definition of a "pump"?

Parixit said:

How does that work?

Likes anorlunda
Add stones until the level rises to 5m!

Likes Nugatory and anorlunda
anorlunda said:
Fun thread
  1. Evaporate it, then catch the rain.
  2. Make a still with the condenser 5 m up
  3. Blow wind over water until waves are 5 m high.
  4. Waterspout.
  5. Freeze it, then throw snowballs
  6. Cloth treadmill on an incline, wet at the bottom and a wringer on top.
  7. A birdbath. Let the birds drink, then fly up and eliminate.
  8. A funnel feeding a tube at the base of a waterfall. (5m? Who knows?)
  9. A Catapult throwing water balloons.
  10. A Rocket
  11. Use an elephant with a long trunk.
  12. Put a plastic barrel with water in front of a wall. Run into it at high speed with a car.
Give me a day, I'll think of another dozen. I bet half the PF members can do the same .

I think number 12 constitutes a most basic form of pump and should be disqualified. And half of 11 if the elephant is spraying the water instead of sucking it up.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
  1. Did anyone mention a geyser?
  2. Or the man made version of a geyser: a percolator.
  3. Parts of Scandinavia are still recovering from the last ice age. The land is rising 1 cm/year. So in about 500 years, all the lakes will be raised 5 m.
  4. Tsunami
  5. Splash. A big (or fast) object striking the surface of water creates a splash that could be 5 m high.
  6. Laser levitation. Science experiments move particles with lasers every day via radiation pressure. How about boosting a single H20 molecule 5m by laser?

Hold the water still. Move the Earth 5 meters with a lever.
Put the water in a boat, and wait for a 5 m wave, or a 5 m tide, or global warming.
Turn the water into hydrogen and oxygen in a balloon. The buoyancy of the hydrogen will cause it to rise. Then light a match.
... that could also be done continuously. Electrochemically turn water into hydrogen and oxygen in a pipe. The gas pressure would cause it to expand out the top of the pipe. Where it could be burned carefully and collected.

Parixit said:
But less than ~ 9.8m. At sea level. At high altitudes 8m is already too long.

CWatters said:
How does that work?
ρgh = patmosphere.

rude man said:
ρgh = patmosphere.
If you are trying to siphon water five meters with an eight meter pipe, you will have problems. You need five meters up and then at least five meters back down. The total had better be greater than ten meters or you won't have a siphon. You'll have an empty pipe instead.

jbriggs444 said:
If you are trying to siphon water five meters with an eight meter pipe, you will have problems. You need five meters up and then at least five meters back down. The total had better be greater than ten meters or you won't have a siphon. You'll have an empty pipe instead.
You're still lifting water up 8m. The problem stated " ..how you can lift the water up to 5 meter ...". It didn't say you couldn't then bring it back down to below the start level.

rude man said:
You're still lifting water up 8m. The problem stated " ..how you can lift the water up to 5 meter ...". It didn't say you couldn't then bring it back down to below the start level.
Right. But an 8 meter pipe won't reach. If you want to lift 8 meters, you need at least 16 meters of pipe.

Likes Shafia Zahin
jbriggs444 said:
Right. But an 8 meter pipe won't reach. If you want to lift 8 meters, you need at least 16 meters of pipe.
Who said anything about an 8 meter pipe? The problem did not preclude a 10 or 11m pipe ...

rude man said:

Then I guess a convection loop would be allowed.

How about the Leidenfrost effect or does that count as a pump (skip to 1min 40s for the best demo)..

Likes billy_joule, NascentOxygen and anorlunda
rude man said:
Who said anything about an 8 meter pipe? The problem did not preclude a 10 or 11m pipe ...
Parixit said:
Does that answer your question?

Siphoning is still technically a pump... just reciprocal

Try getting an object with enough density to exert a gravitational pull on the water then place it more than 5m above the water

Easier to just invert your coordinate system.

Likes anorlunda
:wink:Ionize the water then get a strong enough potential difference o0)

A few maybe not already mentioned:-
➊ Furiously stir the water or spin the bowl (wide mouth, 5m tall with sloping sides) and the water in it will climb up the sides and spill over.
➋ Plant bamboo around your small bottle of water, arrange to delicately support its weight on the growing tips.
➌ Suspend your bicycle over the bowl of water and spin the rear wheel faster and faster until its rooster tail attains 5 metres AGL.
❹ Add a few drops of detergent and blow bubbles to rise 5 metres, catch each and recover one drop of water. ☁

Likes anorlunda
Offer a $1000 to the first person to demonstrate their technique.

What do you mean by "pump"?
Do you mean an actual motor pump or the principal of a pump?

Go the the Bay of Fundy and wait for the tide to come in.

Likes anorlunda
I count 45 unique answers so far. I wager that PF members could come up with many more.

My favorite so far was this one, which is so subtle and clever that I didn't get it at first glance.
jbriggs444 said:
Easier to just invert your coordinate system.
In other words, if we invert the definitions of "up" and "down", than water always runs uphill.

Change the direction of gravity by bringing the Earth closer to a more extremely massive cold body as evaporating has already been mentioned.

Attach the container to the ground and quickly accelerate the ground downward.

Don't do anything and tell the professor it will happen, you just have to wait a bit.