How to maintain commercial scale CSTR temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a reactor for esterification process in the production of biodiesel. The proposed reactor is a CSTR operating at 60C and 400 kPa, with methanol and jatropha oil as reactants and sulphuric acid as a catalyst. The main concern is how to maintain the temperature of the reactor for commercial scale production, considering the endothermic nature of the reaction. The suggested solutions include using coolant tubes or an external heat exchanger, as well as incorporating an agitator and proper tank baffling for uniform heat distribution. The use of a cooling jacket for an endothermic reaction is questioned and alternative options are explored.
princessme
I'm currently doing a design for my final year studies and it's regarding esterification process.

My proposed reactor is CSTR, operating at a temperature of 60C and 400 kPa. Reactants are methanol and jatropha oil with sulphuric acid catalyst. For a commercial scale production of biodiesel, since this is an endothermic reaction, how do I maintain the temperature of the reactor? Using cooling jackets will not give uniform heat distribution for large reactors, so what other alternatives do I have?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use standard heat exchanger ideas such as coolant tubes running through main reaction vessel or circulating reaction solution through an external heat exchanger .

Some active circulation of reaction solution may be useful in any case .

Likes Greg Bernhardt
You can assure uniformity with a large top-entering agitator, probably with multiple pitched-blade turbines and proper tank baffling.

Why a cooling jacket for an endothermic reaction?

What is a CSTR?

A CSTR, or continuous stirred-tank reactor, is a type of chemical reactor commonly used in industrial processes for mixing and reacting fluids. It consists of a tank with a stirrer to ensure uniform mixing and a means for controlling the temperature of the contents.

Why is maintaining temperature important in a CSTR?

Maintaining a specific temperature is crucial in a CSTR because many chemical reactions are highly temperature-dependent. A small deviation from the desired temperature can significantly impact the reaction rate and product quality.

How can the temperature in a CSTR be controlled?

Temperature control in a CSTR can be achieved through various means, including heating and cooling jackets on the reactor, external heat exchangers, and controlling the flow rate of heat transfer fluids. Temperature sensors and controllers are also used to monitor and adjust the temperature as needed.

What are some common challenges in maintaining temperature in a CSTR at a commercial scale?

At a commercial scale, maintaining temperature in a CSTR can be challenging due to factors such as the large volume of reactants, heat transfer limitations, and variations in the reaction kinetics. The design and operation of the reactor, as well as the choice of heat transfer fluids, also play a crucial role in temperature control.

What are some best practices for maintaining temperature in a commercial scale CSTR?

To maintain temperature in a commercial scale CSTR, it is essential to carefully design the reactor and heat transfer systems, use efficient heat transfer fluids, and regularly monitor and calibrate temperature sensors and controllers. It is also crucial to have a thorough understanding of the reaction kinetics and potential heat generation or loss in the system.