How to make 3-phase contactor to chatter?

• Thread starter Nikhil N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contactor
In summary, the speaker has an ABB A16, 3 phase contactor and is looking to generate burst signals similar to relays. They need a circuit diagram for this and have considered using a noise source for their ModBus comm interference experiments. However, it is recommended to follow industry standard test procedures, such as EN 61000-4-4, for reliability and validity. The speaker also mentions the importance of proper wiring, as per NEC standards, to avoid interference and chattering in the contactor.
Nikhil N
I have a ABB A16, 3 phase contactor. I need to generate burst signals from this contactor as similar in relays when it switching on and off frequently. I need the circuit diagram for making the contactor to chatter.
A26_30_10_230V_50HZ.jpg

The circuit I used to make chattering relay was as below:
relay.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nikhil N said:
I have a ABB A16, 3 phase contactor. I need to generate burst signals from this contactor as similar in relays when it switching on and off frequently. I need the circuit diagram for making the contactor to chatter.View attachment 114564
The circuit I used to make chattering relay was as below:View attachment 114565
This is the noise source for your ModBus comm interference experiments?

Maybe you should consider just renting the equipment for doing the industry standard version of your noise test, EN 61000-4-4

https://www.atecorp.com/compliance-...1000-4-4-testing-and-measurement-techniques-e

Likes Nikhil N
berkeman said:
This is the noise source for your ModBus comm interference experiments?

yes, this is the one source which I can consider as interference source. This experiment is related to academic research, can't do it outside

Nikhil N said:
yes, this is the one source which I can consider as interference source. This experiment is related to academic research, can't do it outside
The problem is that if you don't use a very developed and understood industry standard test procedure, others cannot rely on your results. You would never be able to sell a product based on performance in your home-brew noise rejection test. You need to demonstrate noise immunity against industry standard tests. There are lots of reasons for this, including the validity and integrity of the tests...

Likes Nikhil N
Berkeman is 100% correct even tho your experiment is Academic in nature.. That said, there is no reason for that contactor to ever chatter if everything is wired correctly to begin with.. NEC requires the coil of the contactor be powered from the source power feeding the contactor.. This is done so the electrician that may work on this unit doesn't get his ears lite up from a random turn on signal.. Hence a Pilot Relay (or similar) is required, this is energized from your ModBus Comm system which is generally low voltage.. The major reason for any signal interference which will cause chattering in your contactor is a routing problem with your control wiring.. Low voltage control wiring is never put in the same conduiit or run parallel, in the open, with high voltage conductors.. Inductive bleed over is the issue at hand.. Berkeman is correct in saying the tests need to be preformed with 'real world' standards and procedures but it is also necessary to follow 'real world' wiring procedures as per NEC (National Electric Code/NFPA)..Sorry if I missed the whole reason for your experiment, just trying to share a little knowledge I've gained as a real world electrician...

Likes Nikhil N and berkeman

1. How does a 3-phase contactor work?

A 3-phase contactor is an electrical device that controls the flow of electricity in a 3-phase power system. It is made up of three pairs of contacts, one for each phase, that are connected to a coil. When electricity is applied to the coil, it creates an electromagnetic field that pulls the contacts together, allowing electricity to flow through the contactor.

2. Why does a 3-phase contactor chatter?

A 3-phase contactor can chatter, or rapidly open and close, due to a number of reasons, including loose connections, voltage fluctuations, or a malfunctioning coil. This can cause flickering lights, equipment malfunctions, or even damage to the contactor itself.

3. How can I troubleshoot a chattering 3-phase contactor?

To troubleshoot a chattering 3-phase contactor, first check for loose connections and tighten them if necessary. Next, check the voltage levels and make sure they are within the recommended range. If the issue persists, the coil may need to be replaced.

4. Can a chattering 3-phase contactor be dangerous?

A chattering 3-phase contactor can be dangerous if left unchecked. It can cause electrical fires, damage to equipment, and pose a risk to anyone working on the system. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent any potential hazards.

5. How can I prevent a 3-phase contactor from chattering?

To prevent a 3-phase contactor from chattering, it is important to regularly check and maintain all connections and ensure that the voltage levels are within the recommended range. If the issue persists, consider replacing the contactor with a higher quality one that is better suited for your system's needs.