How to make a small model airplane take off (not working yet)

In summary: Gliding is not necessary for a paper plane, but it will help reduce the amount of power needed to take off. - use lightweight materials, like paper- reduce weight- improve propeller
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement:: I would like to know how to probably vary the motor capacity or battery in that case to ensure that the plane takes off. In the attached link- the plane did not take off.
Relevant Equations:: Physics

Kindly find the link of a video on the same- downloaded from Youtube.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
While that's a cute little arts and crafts project, I'm not sure it has good odds of being able to fly. It's pretty heavy and has a very poor propeller and wings. Compare to the classic balsa and rubber band plane:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EZ1N3GM/?tag=pfamazon01-20
44_CaptainStorm.1__60026.1608661669.jpg

Maybe you could combine one of those with this electric paper airplane conversion kit:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTIYD4Y/?tag=pfamazon01-20

2.jpg

• Love
Likes Delta2 and anorlunda
Question to @chwala: What does this have to do with Introductory physics homework? Your "relevant equation" is not even an equation or relevant.

• Love
Likes Delta2 and berkeman
kuruman said:
Question to @chwala: What does this have to do with Introductory physics homework? Your "relevant equation" is not even an equation or relevant.
Agreed. Thread moved from HH/Intro Physics to the DIY forum.

kuruman said:
My apologies...

chwala said:
My apologies...
No need to apologize, we have it all sorted out. So what's your next step for getting things reliably off the ground?

berkeman said:
No need to apologize, we have it all sorted out. So what's your next step for getting things reliably off the ground?
I am still looking at this...The torque will be largely determined by current flow...increasing battery capacity to DC 9 volts would that help?

chwala said:
I am still looking at this...The torque will be largely determined by current flow...increasing battery capacity to DC 9 volts would that help?
It might help but you would do a lot better by reducing unnecessary weight and make significant improvements to the propeller.

Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
It might help but you would do a lot better by reducing unnecessary weight and make significant improvements to the propeller.
Yes, i had thought of using light paper for the prototype...

chwala said:
Yes, i had thought of using light paper for the prototype...
OK, now I'm confused.
I thought the challenge was to get that plane in the air - essentially, the one in the video.
A paper prototype would essentially be starting from scratch.

DaveC426913 said:
OK, now I'm confused.
I thought the challenge was to get that plane in the air - essentially, the one in the video.
A paper prototype would essentially be starting from scratch.
I was thinking that the material used was not light enough...

Google for "diy rc plane". Best material these days is typically some kind of a plastic foam, like Depron, Styrofoam etc. Unless you really know what you are doing it is best to buy a ready propeller, small LiPo battery, brushless motor and you should be ready to go.

Likes Delta2, russ_watters and chwala
chwala said:
I was thinking that the material used was not light enough...
Yes. I am coming around to the idea that the plane in the video is not the actual type of plane you're trying to get moving. The opening post led me to believe that was the plane.

You are simply using the video as a talking aid, nothing more.

Sorry for the thread pollution.

In that case, yes, paper would be quite light. Some planes use mylar stretched over wire, which can be even lighter.

Likes Delta2, Rive, russ_watters and 1 other person
DaveC426913 said:
I am coming around to the idea that the plane in the video is not the actual type of plane you're trying to get moving. The opening post led me to believe that was the plane.
Same here.
Since nothing is known about the actual plane it's a shot in the dark, but: make sure that
- you have at least some wing profile
- check if your plane can glide.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters

1. How do I choose the right materials for my model airplane?

The materials used for a model airplane will depend on the type of airplane you are trying to replicate, as well as your budget and personal preferences. Some common materials include balsa wood, foam, and plastic. It is important to choose lightweight materials that are strong enough to withstand the forces of takeoff and flight.

2. What is the best way to assemble a model airplane for successful takeoff?

The key to a successful takeoff is proper assembly of the model airplane. Make sure to carefully follow the instructions provided with your model kit and use the appropriate tools. It is also important to check that all parts are securely attached and balanced before attempting to take off.

3. How can I adjust the center of gravity for better takeoff performance?

The center of gravity (CG) is a crucial factor in the takeoff and flight of a model airplane. To adjust the CG, you can add or remove weight from different parts of the airplane, such as the nose or tail. It is important to test the CG before each flight to ensure optimal performance.

4. What are some common mistakes that can prevent a model airplane from taking off?

One common mistake is using too much or too little power during takeoff. This can cause the airplane to either stall or flip over. Another mistake is not having enough speed before attempting to take off. It is important to have a smooth and gradual increase in speed to achieve a successful takeoff.

5. How can I troubleshoot if my model airplane is not taking off?

If your model airplane is not taking off, there could be several reasons. First, check that all the components are securely attached and balanced. You may also want to check the power source and make sure it is fully charged. If the issue persists, try adjusting the CG or seeking advice from experienced model airplane enthusiasts.