How to make something independent of the coordinate frame?

In summary, in page 49, chap 8 of the book "classical mechanics point particles and relativity" by Greiner, the author discusses the use of orthogonal unit vectors to make a quantity independent of the coordinate frame. This is achieved by defining a new coordinate system using three base vectors (##\vec{T}##,##\vec{N}##,##\vec{B}##) along the trajectory of a mass point. These base vectors are fixed and not equal at every point in space, but they are used to make the components of the position vector independent of the old coordinate system. The figure on page 50 and a concrete example, such as the orbit of a mass point thrown horizontally, can help
glmhd
TL;DR Summary
what become independent of coordinate frame when using moving trihedral
In page 49, chap 8 of the book "classical mechanics point particles and relativity" of Greiner, there is the following sentence:
"In order to become independent of the coordinate frame, a set of orthogonal unit vectors is put at the point of the trajectory of the mass point given by ##s##."
Here, what become independent of the coordinate frame? And how using moving trihedral make some quantity independence of the coordinate frame?
A simple, concrete example to illustrate is welcome, like consider the orbit of mass point when throw it hozirontally

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it means that they choose new basevectors (##\vec{T}##,##\vec{N}##,##\vec{B}##) and new coordinatesystem to make components of positionvector indebendent of old coordinate system.
By putting by basevectors they mean defining new coordinate system.
Word trihedral indicates that there are 3 basevectors in new coordinatesystem.
Basevectors are not moving, but are not equal in every point of space. I do not know how these basevectors are defined outside trajectory, but the figure on page 50 and this illustration shows how these basevectors are on trajectory.

Last edited:

1. How can I make my experiment or study independent of the coordinate frame?

The first step to making your experiment or study independent of the coordinate frame is to clearly define your coordinate system. This includes choosing a fixed origin and axes that are consistent with your research question. Once this is established, you can use mathematical transformations to convert data from one coordinate system to another, ensuring that your results are not affected by the choice of coordinate frame.

2. Why is it important to make something independent of the coordinate frame?

Making something independent of the coordinate frame is crucial for ensuring the accuracy and reliability of your results. If your experiment or study is heavily dependent on the coordinate frame, it can introduce bias and errors into your data, making it difficult to draw valid conclusions.

3. What are some techniques for making something independent of the coordinate frame?

There are several techniques that can be used to make something independent of the coordinate frame. These include using mathematical transformations, using reference objects or markers, and using coordinate-free methods such as vector calculus. It is important to carefully consider which technique is most appropriate for your specific research question.

4. How can I validate that my experiment or study is independent of the coordinate frame?

To validate the independence of your experiment or study from the coordinate frame, you can perform sensitivity analyses. This involves varying the coordinate system and checking if the results remain consistent. You can also compare your results with those obtained using different coordinate systems or methods to ensure that they are in agreement.

5. Are there any limitations to making something independent of the coordinate frame?

While making something independent of the coordinate frame is important, it is not always possible to completely eliminate all dependencies. Some experiments or studies may inherently rely on the coordinate frame, and it is important to acknowledge and address these limitations in your research. Additionally, the choice of coordinate frame can also affect the precision and accuracy of your measurements, so it is important to carefully consider the impact of your coordinate system on your results.