How to measure inverter efficiency

In summary, a wattmeter between the 12v bat and the inverter can be used to calculate the wattage being used. The wattage is then used to calculate the efficiency of the inverter.
latter
set up
12v bat. to 150w inverter to a tower pc.
so i put a amp meter between 12v bat and inverter .times the volts by amps get wattage?
then get the wattage of computer using a mains socket(because the inverter produces modified sinewave and my wattage meter may not work correctly with modified sine wave)?

when i have both wattages DC and AC i can work out efficiency of inverter.is this correct.?
so far my computer plus lcd just in idle , desktop is on but i am doing nothing is 52 watts
the wattage between 12v bat and inverter is 66 watts on 1 inverter and 72watts on enougher inverter i have .
i rough idea on this is 30% and 40% efficiency .i find this not good if i am right.
does any know how to get the most efficent setup.
my computer with a wattage meter on. Goes when in use for games from 52watts up to 8o 90 100 watts it is hArd to tell because of the speed of change.i have been told this could be higher but my cheap meter will average out the high watts readings.

should i have a 150watt inverter or 120 watt one.?
inverters always say 90% peak efficiency but don't say what load this peak efficency occurs at.i have been told on a 150 watt inverter you take 15watts off that's the 10% loss
the leaves 135watts so the peak efficiency would be at 134 watts.with a curve going down from there is this correct?
any answers would be helpful
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you use a more predictable load like a 100W light bulb? Measure the current drawn and the voltage at the output and back calculate.

yes i could but that wouldn't solve it. but now i think about it are you right because i know bulb is a 100w wow never thought of that idea.
but this would bring me back still to the other problems is my method correct and if i find out as it seems i have 30 to 40% inefficiency what is going on here.I can not afford to keep buying inverters at £30 just to try out its efficiency.
say i am running on average between 50 and 100 watts what size inverter should i look at for efficiency.of course i can get a bigger one but what's the draw back.?
the reason i ask is my method correct is i seem to get high inefficiency results 30, 40 % inefficent.
that is inconsistent with genneral claims of 10, 15% inefficiency for modern inverters

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of inverter efficiency?

Inverter efficiency is a measure of how well an inverter converts the direct current (DC) input from a power source, such as a battery or solar panel, into alternating current (AC) output for use in electronic devices.

2. How is inverter efficiency calculated?

Inverter efficiency is calculated by dividing the AC output power by the DC input power and multiplying the result by 100 to get a percentage. This percentage represents the efficiency of the inverter in converting DC to AC power.

3. What is the typical efficiency range for inverters?

The typical efficiency range for inverters is between 80-95%. The efficiency can vary depending on the type and quality of the inverter, as well as the load being powered.

4. How does inverter efficiency affect power consumption?

A higher inverter efficiency means that less power is lost during the conversion process, resulting in lower power consumption. This can lead to cost savings over time, especially for devices that require a lot of power.

5. What factors can impact the efficiency of an inverter?

The efficiency of an inverter can be impacted by various factors, including the quality and design of the inverter, the input voltage and frequency, the load being powered, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.