How to memorize the periodic table?

In summary: It's a really good summary. In summary, the periodic table is a table of elements that can be memorized by grouping and periods. For my inorganic class, I have been memorizing the groups and periods separately, but I may try the mnemonic "Scottish Tele-Visions Can't Make F*** Color, Neither Can Zebras" if it proves more efficient.
LogicX
So for my inorganic class we need to know the periodic table by heart, as we will not be getting one on our tests. While memorizing groups and periods in order doesn't hold that much practical sense (it would be much better to be able to just recall any element by it's number along with it's placement in the table) it is the only practical way for me to do it so that I can puzzle out where an element is on the table and from there figure out it's electron configuration or something.

For groups 1,2 and 13-18, I am memorizing the separate groups. For the transition metals I have been trying to memorize them as periods (since I think it would be much more useful to know, say, the first row transition metals compared to a bunch of small groups with obscure elements like Seaborgium at the tail end of them all).

Does this sound like a good method? This whole exercise seems silly to me, but I guess you have to start somewhere so that later on I will be able to easily recall any element.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For the 1st row of the transition metals, a (Scottish) chemistry professor taught me this mnemonic:

Scottish Tele-Visions Can't Make F****** Color, Neither Can Zebras

(of course this isn't perfect because you have to remember the order for chromium, cobalt and copper)

If you google "periodic table mnemonics" bunches of hits result.

This is an interesting one (from Science jokes):

"From: Joel Gordon <jgordon#NoSpam.taconic.net>

Many years ago (1963) I was required to learn the entire periodic table
(except the transuranium elements) for a course entitled "Advanced
Inorganic Chemistry." While I did not have any mnemonics, I did find that
the entire table can be PRONOUNCED, and I memorized it that way, a row at a
time. I still receive requests from my daughter in college to recite it for
her friends, an exercise which can make one feel like an incredible geek."

Just watch this over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the importance of having a strong understanding of the periodic table. While memorizing the entire table may seem like a daunting task, there are some strategies that can make it easier. It is important to note that memorizing the groups and periods in order may not be the most practical approach, as you mentioned. Instead, it would be more beneficial to focus on understanding the trends and patterns within the periodic table.

One helpful strategy could be to break the table down into smaller sections and focus on memorizing those sections individually. For example, you could start by memorizing the first few rows of the table, then move on to the next few rows, and so on. This will help you to build a strong foundation and make it easier to remember the entire table.

Another approach could be to use mnemonic devices or visual aids to help you remember the elements and their placement in the table. For example, you could create a story or image for each group or period to help you remember the elements in that section.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to find a method that works best for you. While some people may find it helpful to memorize the groups and periods separately, others may prefer to focus on understanding the patterns and trends within the table. Whichever method you choose, just remember to stay consistent and practice regularly. With time and effort, you will be able to easily recall any element on the periodic table.

1. How can I memorize the periodic table quickly?

One effective way to memorize the periodic table quickly is by using mnemonic devices, such as creating a story or phrase that incorporates the first letter of each element. Another method is by breaking the table into smaller sections and focusing on memorizing one section at a time.

2. Is it important to memorize the entire periodic table?

While it may seem daunting to memorize all 118 elements, it is not necessary to do so. However, having a basic understanding of the elements and their properties can be useful in various fields of science and can aid in understanding chemical reactions.

3. How can I remember the order of elements in the periodic table?

One way to remember the order of elements in the periodic table is by understanding the periodic trends, such as the atomic number increasing from left to right and the elements in the same group having similar properties. Flashcards or online quizzes can also be helpful in practicing the order of elements.

4. Are there any memorization techniques specifically for the periodic table?

Aside from mnemonic devices, there are other techniques that can help with memorizing the periodic table. These include creating visual associations, using songs or rhymes, and practicing regularly.

5. How long does it take to memorize the periodic table?

The time it takes to memorize the periodic table varies for each individual, as it depends on their learning style and dedication. With consistent practice and use of effective memorization techniques, it is possible to memorize the periodic table within a few weeks.