How to model a non-linear pendulum with air resistance?

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation for a non-linear pendulum with air resistance and the use of data to analyze it. The equation involves a v^2 term, which presents a problem. The solution is to modify the equation to include a sign function to account for the changing direction of the resistive force. The question being addressed is how changing the area (A) affects damping, and a website and Wikipedia page were referenced for guidance on comparing damping coefficients.
Omkar Vaidya

Homework Statement

I have found a differential equation that models a non-linear pendulum with air resistance, and now I have data. I've looked at the following site for guidance on how to analyse the data. It compares the motion of a damped spring, and compares it to the motion of a damped pendulum. However, my equation involves a v^2 (or (dtheta/dt)^2. The equation in the site has v proportional to the drag force. The question I am trying to answer is "How does changing the value of A(area) affect damping?"

Homework Equations

https://prnt.sc/i6bfv0[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Omkar Vaidya said:

Homework Statement

I have found a differential equation that models a non-linear pendulum with air resistance, and now I have data. I've looked at the following site for guidance on how to analyse the data. It compares the motion of a damped spring, and compares it to the motion of a damped pendulum. However, my equation involves a v^2 (or (dtheta/dt)^2. How would I eliminate this problem?

Homework Equations

https://prnt.sc/i6bfv0[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

As already pointed out in another thread on this problem, your differential equation is incorrect. You cannot have a resistive force of ##k v^2##, because that always points one way (always either to the left or to the right). You need a force that changes direction when the pendulum reverses its motion. That can be done using ##k v^2\: \text{sign}(v) = k v |v|##.

I don't think you can "eliminate" the problem; you can only deal with it. If you have access to a good numerical DE solver, getting a reliable numerical solution should not be much of a problem. In another thread on this problem I presented solutions obtained by Maple.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
As already pointed out in another thread on this problem, your differential equation is incorrect. You cannot have a resistive force of ##k v^2##, because that always points one way (always either to the left or to the right). You need a force that changes direction when the pendulum reverses its motion. That can be done using ##k v^2\: \text{sign}(v) = k v |v|##.

I don't think you can "eliminate" the problem; you can only deal with it. If you have access to a good numerical DE solver, getting a reliable numerical solution should not be much of a problem. In another thread on this problem I presented solutions obtained by Maple.

Yes, I think that would be my question too. I did change the v^2. However, the question I am trying to answer (sorry for not including that) is "How does changing A(area) affect damping?" That is where the site comes into use, by comparing damping coefficients.

Omkar Vaidya said:
Yes, I think that would be my question too. I did change the v^2. However, the question I am trying to answer (sorry for not including that) is "How does changing A(area) affect damping?" That is where the site comes into use, by comparing damping coefficients.

Your post speaks of a "site", but does not give a link.

1. How does air resistance affect the motion of a non-linear pendulum?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the motion of a non-linear pendulum. As the pendulum swings, it experiences resistance from the air it moves through, causing it to lose energy and slow down. This results in a shorter period and smaller amplitude of oscillation compared to a pendulum without air resistance.

2. How can we model air resistance in a non-linear pendulum?

One way to model air resistance in a non-linear pendulum is by using the drag equation, which takes into account the velocity, density, and cross-sectional area of the pendulum. This equation can be incorporated into the equations of motion for the pendulum to simulate the effects of air resistance.

3. Is the motion of a non-linear pendulum with air resistance chaotic?

Yes, the motion of a non-linear pendulum with air resistance can be chaotic due to the non-linear relationship between the pendulum's position and velocity and the effects of air resistance. This means that small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes in the motion of the pendulum.

4. Can we predict the behavior of a non-linear pendulum with air resistance?

While the behavior of a non-linear pendulum with air resistance may seem unpredictable, it can still be modeled and predicted using mathematical equations and computer simulations. However, it is important to note that even small changes in initial conditions or parameters can greatly impact the predicted behavior.

5. How does the length of the pendulum affect the impact of air resistance?

The length of the pendulum can have a significant impact on the effects of air resistance. A longer pendulum will experience more drag due to its larger cross-sectional area, resulting in a shorter period and smaller amplitude of oscillation. On the other hand, a shorter pendulum will experience less drag and may have a longer period and larger amplitude of oscillation.