Motion of a non-linear pendulum with air resistance

In summary, the equation for the motion of a nonlinear pendulum with air resistance is:Fc=mgsinthetaFdrag=(1/2)p(v^2)CAwhere Fc=the gravitational force, mgsintheta=the inertial mass of the pendulum, p=the momentum of the pendulum, v=the pendulum's velocity, L=the length of the pendulum, and A=the air resistance.
Omkar Vaidya

Homework Statement

I need to come up with an equation that would model the motion of a non-linear pendulum with air resistance. [/B]

Homework Equations

Fc=mgsintheta
Fdrag=(1/2)p(v^2)CA

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with mgsintheta-(1/2)p(v^2)CA=ma

After substituting v=r*omega and a=r*alpha, I get the following (look at the image)
i6bfv0

However, after graphing, I do not get a damped oscillating curve, because of the v^2 not changing signs. Can someone guide me? See second image:
i6bh0j
http://prntscr.com/i6bh0j[/B]

https://prnt.sc/i6bfv0

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, we can't see the 1st image

To know whether there is a problem, how many cycles did you follow it through?

epenguin said:
To know whether there is a problem, how many cycles did you follow it through?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by cycles. I set the domain on the graph to be [0, 2pi].

Omkar Vaidya said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by cycles. I set the domain on the graph to be [0, 2pi].
To be sure there is no damping try 20π or 100π?

It does make sense that your damping doesn't work if the damping force is always pointing in the same direction and not against v. Maybe you should try to replace v^2 by |v|v.

Likes Douglas Sunday
epenguin said:
To be sure there is no damping try 20π or 100π?
I did, and there does not seem to be any. However, the amplitude does seem to change, but on average it remains the same.

Gigaz said:
It does make sense that your damping doesn't work if the damping force is always pointing in the same direction and not against v. Maybe you should try to replace v^2 by |v|v.
Thanks, this does work. For some reason I didn't think of the absolute value as a solution to the v^2 problem. Now I get a graph that looks like the following. It does not pass through the x-axis like it should.
https://prnt.sc/i6cgpx

Omkar Vaidya said:
Thanks, this does work. For some reason I didn't think of the absolute value as a solution to the v^2 problem. Now I get a graph that looks like the following. It does not pass through the x-axis like it should.
https://prnt.sc/i6cgpx

Another sign error. When you're at positive theta, the force must point in the negative direction. So it should be -mgsin(theta).

Gigaz said:
Another sign error. When you're at positive theta, the force must point in the negative direction. So it should be -mgsin(theta).
yes, I thought I already changed that. Thanks again.

Gigaz said:
Did you look at the derivation of that equation I came up with? I just need someone to check if its correct (apart from the signs, and absolute values)

Omkar Vaidya said:
Did you look at the derivation of that equation I came up with? I just need someone to check if its correct (apart from the signs, and absolute values)

Seems fine to me.

Gigaz said:
Seems fine to me.

Here is what I get using Maple to solve the IVP
$$\theta^{''} = -\frac{g}{L} \sin(\theta) - \frac{pLcA}{2m} \theta' |\theta'|, \; \theta(0)=1.5, \theta'(0)=0$$
using your input parameters (but using notation ##w(t)## instead of ##\theta(t)##):
upload_2018-1-27_9-12-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_9-12-58.png
    upload_2018-1-27_9-12-58.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Thread moved. Problems involving differential equations belong in the Calculus & Beyond section.

Related to Motion of a non-linear pendulum with air resistance

1. What is a non-linear pendulum with air resistance?

A non-linear pendulum with air resistance is a physical system in which a mass is suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod and is subject to the forces of gravity and air resistance. Unlike a simple pendulum, which follows a linear motion, a non-linear pendulum experiences a more complex motion due to the presence of air resistance.

2. How does air resistance affect the motion of a non-linear pendulum?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and increases with the speed of the object. In the case of a non-linear pendulum, air resistance causes the pendulum to lose energy and gradually slow down, resulting in a shorter period and smaller amplitude of oscillation.

3. What is the equation of motion for a non-linear pendulum with air resistance?

The equation of motion for a non-linear pendulum with air resistance is a differential equation that takes into account the forces of gravity and air resistance. It can be written as:
θ''(t) + (b/m)θ'(t) + (g/L)sin(θ(t)) = 0
where θ(t) represents the angle of the pendulum, b is the damping coefficient (related to air resistance), m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion with air resistance?

The length of the pendulum plays a significant role in its motion with air resistance. A longer pendulum will experience less air resistance and will therefore have a longer period and larger amplitude of oscillation compared to a shorter pendulum with the same initial conditions. Additionally, the length of the pendulum affects the rate at which it loses energy due to air resistance.

5. Can a non-linear pendulum with air resistance ever come to rest?

No, a non-linear pendulum with air resistance will never come to rest due to the presence of air resistance, which constantly dissipates its energy. However, the pendulum's motion will gradually decrease over time until it reaches a state of equilibrium, where the forces of gravity and air resistance are balanced and the pendulum remains stationary.