How to operate in Angle Notation (Electrical Engineering)

In summary, the conversation involves a student who missed a week of university and is struggling to understand a new method of operating with vector magnitudes and angles. The student asks for the general rules to add, subtract, multiply, and divide phasors in angle notation, with the equations a=|v|∠θ and b=|u|∠φ. The student's classmate is unable to remember how to operate and the student is reminded to convert to radians when working with complex numbers.
dumbdumNotSmart
Background info (Not actual question): So I've been gone a week from university and I've missed a lot of content, one particular thing that boggles me is this new method to operate with vector magnitudes and their angles. The operations surprised me with the speed they were done. I did ask a classmate who'd been the whole week i missed, he couldn't muster the memory of how to operate either. So without further due the actual question:

QUESTION: We are operating in 2D space with phasors (Current,voltage,power etc.)
What are the general rules to add, subtract, multiply and divide phasors in angle notation (Degrees, not radians).

Equations a=|v|∠θ, b=|u|∠φ (all angles in degrees)
a+b=|?|∠?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember how these things were done with complex numbers. If you have ##z_1 = a e^{i \theta_1}## and ##z_2 = a e^{i \theta_2}##, how would you do ##z_1 z_2##?

Likes berkeman
Ah yes, convert to radians and we're in business

Related to How to operate in Angle Notation (Electrical Engineering)

1. What is Angle Notation in Electrical Engineering?

Angle Notation is a method used in electrical engineering to represent the phase relationships between different electrical quantities, such as voltage and current. It uses a combination of magnitude and angle to express these relationships, making it easier to understand and analyze complex electrical systems.

2. How do I convert between Angle Notation and other forms of representation?

To convert from Angle Notation to other forms, such as polar or rectangular notation, you can use trigonometric functions. For example, to convert from Angle Notation to polar notation, you can use the formula r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a), where a and b are the magnitude and angle, respectively, in Angle Notation.

3. What are the advantages of using Angle Notation?

Angle Notation allows for a more intuitive and visual representation of phase relationships in electrical systems. It also simplifies complex calculations and makes it easier to analyze and troubleshoot electrical problems. Additionally, it is a standard notation used in many electrical engineering applications and is widely understood by professionals in the field.

4. How is Angle Notation used in electrical circuit analysis?

Angle Notation is used in AC circuit analysis to represent the phase differences between voltage and current in different parts of the circuit. It allows for the use of phasors, which are vector representations of electrical quantities, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of the circuit.

5. Can Angle Notation be used for both single-phase and three-phase systems?

Yes, Angle Notation can be used for both single-phase and three-phase systems. In single-phase systems, the angle represents the phase difference between voltage and current, while in three-phase systems, the angle represents the phase difference between each phase. However, in three-phase systems, the notation is often extended to include subscripts to indicate which phase the angle is referring to.