Tesla coil not working (help anyone?)

In summary: Tesla Coil builder. He has been building the coils for many years and has perfected his craft. He has built a Tesla Coil that uses three NSTs (National Semiconductor TB8565), each outputting 6500 volts at .9 amps. He has also built four high voltage capacitors that are each rated at 1000 volts and are submerged in mineral oil. He has also built a spark gap that is made from tungsten carbide and is held together by mig welding tips (copper) threaded onto 6 gauge copper wire. Finally, he has placed his primary and secondary coils in good condition, and has a topload sphere and tauroid. When he connects the NSTs to the spark gap, the
TungstenTesla
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm currently building a tesla coil. here are the details:

1.) I'm using three parallel NSTs that each output about 6500 volts at .9 amps.

2.) I'm using 4 high voltage capacitors that I built using two sheets of aluminum siding with polypropylene as a dielectric between them. They are held together with a PVC ring, and submerged in mineral oil inside a 4" pvc tube. There are 4 of these. I've tested them with my multimeter and they are not showing any current flow between the two leads so they should be ok.

3.) my spark gap is made from tungsten carbide held by mig welding tips (copper) threaded onto 6 gauge copper wire.

4.) my primary coild and secondary coil are in good shape, and for a topload I have a sphere and a tauroid.

I haven't been able to get it to work. When I connect the NSTs to the spark gap, it fires fine. but with I hook up the capacitor bank and the primary coil to the spark gap, the gap doesn't fire and there is no discharge. who can help me troubleshoot this? I would be most appreciative!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about posting a sketch of your circuit. Do you basically charge your capacitor in half a line cycle, and discharge it into the primary of your coil transformer through the spark gap at 60 Hz? Or do you have rectifier diodes? Do you trigger the spark gap, or just let it break down when the voltage is high enough? When you charge the capacitor, is the high side tied to one side of the spark gap and the other side grounded, and when the spark gap is triggered, it essentially grounds the high side of the capacitor, and pulses current through the primary coil?

What do you think the capacitance is? Using I = C dV/dt. what do you think I and dV/dt are? Theoretically, Imax ~2.7 amps, and dV/dtmax = ~377·6500 = 2.5 x 106 volts/sec, implying an optimum capacitor is ~2.7/2.5 x 106 = 1 uF. Is that correct?

What do you see happening when the room is totally dark?

Bob S

1. Why is my Tesla coil not producing any sparks?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure all the components are properly connected and there are no loose wires. Also, check if the power source is sufficient for the Tesla coil's requirements. If everything seems to be in order, the issue could be with the transformer or the capacitors. It is best to consult a professional for further troubleshooting.

2. What should I do if my Tesla coil is producing weak sparks?

This could be due to a low power supply, faulty or damaged components, or improper tuning. Check the power supply and make sure it meets the requirements of the Tesla coil. Inspect all the components for any damage or defects. If everything seems to be in working order, try tuning the Tesla coil by adjusting the number of turns on the primary coil or the capacitance of the capacitors.

3. My Tesla coil is making strange noises, what could be the problem?

If the noises are sudden and loud, it could be due to a short circuit. Inspect all the connections and make sure there are no loose or exposed wires. If the noises are continuous and soft, it could be due to faulty components or improper tuning. Again, check all the components and try adjusting the tuning to see if the noises stop.

4. How can I prevent my Tesla coil from overheating?

Overheating can be a common issue with Tesla coils, especially when running at high power levels. To prevent this, make sure the power supply is adequate and the components are not damaged or faulty. You can also add a heatsink to the transistor or use a fan to keep the components cool. Additionally, avoid running the Tesla coil for extended periods of time without breaks.

5. Is it safe to build and operate a Tesla coil at home?

Building and operating a Tesla coil can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The high voltage and current involved can cause serious injuries or even death. It is important to have a good understanding of electrical circuits and safety protocols before attempting to build a Tesla coil. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby and to always wear protective gear when operating the Tesla coil.