How to pick an operator onto which the wavefunction collapses

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making a measurement on a quantum system and how the measurement apparatus determines which observable or property of the system is being measured. The answer involves defining how to make a position measurement and arranging the initial state and Hamiltonian of the instrument to make an energy measurement according to the Born rule. The conversation also brings up the concept of entanglement between the measurement apparatus and the studied particle. The speaker also mentions wanting to derive this fact from first principles and finding a reference discussing how to arrange an energy measurement of a bound electron.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Imagine a system of 1 particle in a superposition of eigenstates of some operator(s). If one were to make a measurement of a property of that particle, how is the operator (or observable) "picked" so that the wavefunction collapses into an eigenstate of said operator? In other words, how do one make the wavefunction collapse into say an energy eigenstate as opposed to a position eigenstate? I already know that it's by "measuring the energy of the particle", this is not what I am asking. I am asking what makes the measurement measuring the energy instead of other properties, in that case.

Another concrete example would be a Bloch electron in a solid. Atoms in the lattice are constantly measuring its energy, I think, and never its momentum nor position. I'd like to derive this fact from first principle. And then move on to Cooper pairs, etc. (where I am not sure, but I think the lattice still constantly measure the energies of Cooper pairs, but I'd like to derive it from first principles).

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I am asking what makes the measurement measuring the energy instead of other properties

The physical configuration of the measuring device.

I'm still expecting a more elaborate answer. One that deals with entanglement between the measurement apparatus and the studied particle, for instance.

fluidistic said:
I already know that it's by "measuring the energy of the particle", this is not what I am asking. I am asking what makes the measurement measuring the energy instead of other properties, in that case.

The answer involves some sort of circular reasoning. We know an instrument measures energy, if on an energy eigenstate, it produces the definite energy of the state. More generally, we know an instrument measures energy, if it produces results distributed according to the Born rule for the energy measurement.

Another way to answer the question that may seem less circular is to say that we only know need to define how to make a position measurement. For all other things, we know how to prepare the initial quantum state of the instrument, and to write the Hamiltonian for the combined system and instrument. If we make a position measurement on the instrument (eg. the position of the pointer on the instrument), then it is equivalent to making a measurement on the quantum system being measured. To make an energy measurement, we can arrange the initial state and Hamiltonian of the instrument such that the position readings are distributed according to the Born rule for energy measurements on the quantum system being measured.

It might be worthy to aks yourself how to determine which observable / property of a classical system a given measurement apparatus measues.

atyy said:
To make an energy measurement, we can arrange [...]
? I'd like to know a reference discussing how to arrange an energy measurement of a bound electron, say.

1. How do I determine which operator to use for wavefunction collapse?

The operator used for wavefunction collapse depends on what physical quantity you are trying to measure. For example, if you want to measure the position of a particle, you would use the position operator. If you want to measure the energy of a system, you would use the energy operator. It is important to choose the correct operator in order to obtain accurate results.

2. Can I use any operator for wavefunction collapse?

No, not all operators can be used for wavefunction collapse. The operator must correspond to a physical observable in order for it to be valid. Additionally, the operator must also be Hermitian, meaning that it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This ensures that the measurement results are real numbers.

3. How does the wavefunction collapse onto the chosen operator?

The wavefunction collapses onto the chosen operator through a process known as the measurement process. When a measurement is made, the wavefunction collapses into one of the eigenstates of the operator being measured. This means that the wavefunction becomes localized to a specific value of the physical quantity being measured.

4. Is wavefunction collapse a random process?

According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, wavefunction collapse is a random process. This means that the outcome of a measurement cannot be predicted with certainty, but only with a certain probability. However, there are other interpretations of quantum mechanics that propose non-random collapse theories.

5. Can wavefunction collapse be observed in experiments?

No, wavefunction collapse itself cannot be observed in experiments. This is because the collapse occurs instantaneously and cannot be directly measured. However, the effects of wavefunction collapse can be observed in the results of measurements, as the wavefunction collapses onto a specific value of the physical quantity being measured.