How to Prepare a 1 M Acetic Buffer with a pH of 6.0

In summary, the equations to calculate the concentration of acetates and acetic acid in a buffer are: [acetate] / [acetic acid] = 17.37 and moles acetate = moles acetic acid * 17.37.
ttor1236

Homework Statement

Prepare 500ml acetic buffer with a concentration of 1 M and a pH o 6.0. (pKa for acetic acis is 4.76; molecular weight for actetic acid is 60g/mol and for sodium acetate is 136g/mol)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the Henderson Hasselbalch equation. I have no Idea what to do. Please Help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch to first find the ratio of acetate / acetic acid molarity. This is also the ratio of the number of moles of each.

The sum of the two molarities should equal 1.0 M.

You must find a way to rearrange one equation and plug it into the other. Post back if you need more help.

Must I work out the [HA] and [A] and then work oout the molarity using n=m/MW?

Using Henderson-Hasselbalch, we find that [acetate] / [acetic acid] = 17.37

This ratio also applies to the number of moles of each, so moles acetate / moles acetic acid = 17.37

Rearranging this equation, we find that: moles acetate = moles acetic acid * 17.37

Since the concentration of the buffer is 1M, we know that: moles acetate + moles acetic acid / 0.5L = 1.0M

The next step is to take the rearranged equation and plug it into the equation directly above.

17.37 * moles acetic acid + moles acetic acid / 0.5L = 1.0M

Simplified: 18.37 * moles acetic acid / 0.5L = 1.0M

Solving for the moles of acetic acid gives: 0.0272 moles acetic acid that need to be used in the buffer.

Next solve for the number of moles of acetate: 0.0272 * 17.37 = 0.473 moles of acetate.

Take the number of moles of acetate and multiply it times the molecular weight to get the amount of grams you need to add to the buffer.

0.0272 moles of acetic acid would come out to 27.2 ml of 1M acetic acid.

You add the acetate and acetic acid to a clean 500 ml volumetric flask and dilute to volume with distilled h20.

I hope that helped.

Thanks a mill.

Related to How to Prepare a 1 M Acetic Buffer with a pH of 6.0

1. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It consists of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. How do I calculate the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant of the weak acid, [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base, and [HA] is the concentration of the weak acid.

3. How do I prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need to mix a weak acid (or weak base) with its conjugate base (or conjugate acid) in a specific ratio. You can calculate the required amounts of each component using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation or consult a buffer table.

4. What is the purpose of a buffer solution in experiments?

Buffer solutions are used in experiments to maintain a stable pH level. This is important because many biological and chemical reactions are pH-dependent and can only occur within a specific pH range. Buffer solutions ensure that the pH does not fluctuate significantly, which can affect the outcome of the experiment.

5. How can I change the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution can be changed by adding either an acid or a base to the solution. However, because buffer solutions are designed to resist pH changes, the addition of small amounts of acid or base will have minimal impact on the overall pH of the solution.