How to prepare for 3rd year Maths

In summary, a 2nd year undergraduate maths student is seeking advice on how to improve their proof writing skills and prepare for future classes. They have completed Calculus 1, 2, and 3, as well as Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. They have purchased two books, Linear Algebra Done Right and Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus, but are struggling with the exercises and proofs in the former. They are looking for recommendations on other resources for review and preparation, specifically in the area of number theory.
David Donald
Hello, I am a 2nd year undergraduate maths student going into my third year
who has been through..

Calc 1
Calc 2
Calc 3 or Multivariable Calculus
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations

I bought two books Linear Algebra Done Right
and Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus

I want to brush up on my maths and prepare myself for my future classes though I've hit a roadblock, I have trouble with the concept of proof writing especially the exercises and proofs in Linear Algebra Done Right I find myself getting confused and struggle to even know where to start with such exercises.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to maybe a different book or place to start in reviewing and preparing for my third year that would greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done any number theory so far ?

1. How can I improve my math skills for 3rd year?

One way to improve your math skills for 3rd year is to practice regularly and consistently. You can also seek help from your teachers or peers, and use online resources such as practice problems and tutorials. It is also important to have a strong foundation in the basics of math, so make sure to review previous concepts if needed.

2. What topics should I focus on for 3rd year math?

The topics covered in 3rd year math vary depending on the curriculum, but some common topics include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is important to consult with your teacher or review the syllabus to determine the specific topics that will be covered in your class.

3. How should I study for 3rd year math exams?

To prepare for 3rd year math exams, it is important to start studying early and regularly rather than cramming the night before. Make sure to review your notes, practice problems, and seek help from your teacher or peers if needed. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards to help you review key concepts.

4. What resources can I use to prepare for 3rd year math?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for 3rd year math. Some options include textbooks, online tutorials and practice problems, study groups, and review sessions with your teacher. You can also seek help from a tutor if you need additional support.

5. How can I stay motivated while studying for 3rd year math?

Staying motivated while studying for 3rd year math can be challenging, but setting specific goals and breaking down your studying into smaller chunks can help. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the importance of math in your future career or studies. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for your hard work can help maintain motivation.