How to properly rearrange formula

In summary, the conversation is about rearranging the formula a=(v2-v1)/t to solve for v2. The person is struggling to get the correct answer and is seeking help. They are advised to multiply both sides by t and add v1 to both sides.
Ande Philipo
I tried rearranging the formula multiple times but the answers I got made no sense.
The equation I have to use is a=(v2-v1)/t
I need to solve for v2
v1=1
a=2.27
t=3.88
If you cold help me rearrange the formula correctly that'd be great!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show one of these times, at least.

Ande Philipo said:
I tried rearranging the formula multiple times but the answers I got made no sense.
The equation I have to use is a=(v2-v1)/t
I need to solve for v2
If you cold help me rearrange the formula correctly that'd be great!
Thanks!
I've moved your thread to our schoolwork forums, Ande. That is where schoolwork questions should be asked.

Please show us what you have tried so far. We will help you work through it.

One would assume you really mean for the post-digits to be subscripts.

Multiply both sides by t.
Add v sub one to both sides.

1. How do I know which variable to isolate first?

The first step in properly rearranging a formula is to identify which variable you want to isolate. This can be done by looking at the given formula and determining which variable's value you are trying to find. Once that is determined, you can work backwards through the formula to isolate that variable.

2. What is the order of operations when rearranging a formula?

The order of operations when rearranging a formula is the same as when solving an equation. Start by simplifying any parentheses, then work from left to right to simplify any exponents or roots. Next, perform any multiplication or division from left to right. Finally, perform any addition or subtraction from left to right.

3. How do I keep track of my steps while rearranging a formula?

It is important to keep track of your steps while rearranging a formula to avoid making mistakes. You can do this by writing down each step on a separate line, or by using arrows to show how you are moving each term to a different side of the equation. Another helpful tip is to label each step with what you are doing, such as "multiply by 2" or "divide by x".

4. What should I do if I get stuck while rearranging a formula?

If you get stuck while rearranging a formula, it can be helpful to break the formula down into smaller parts. Focus on isolating one variable at a time and then combine your steps to get to the final rearranged formula. It can also be helpful to look at examples or ask for assistance from a teacher or tutor.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for rearranging a formula?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks for rearranging a formula, there are some tips that can make the process easier. These include simplifying the formula as much as possible before rearranging, using inverse operations to move terms to the other side of the equation, and being organized and methodical in your approach.