How to recover from a miserable professor.

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's frustration with a difficult and unhelpful professor in a lower level physics course. The student is essentially teaching themselves the material with the help of friends who have taken the course before. The professor is described as lecturing briefly and then dismissing the class without covering important concepts. The student is struggling to get a good grade due to errors in the course material and confusing quiz questions. There is also a discussion about the availability of physics courses in the summer at different universities.
Dickfore said:
First of all, I don't understand what 'prior to this one' is referring to since this is your first post in this thread.

That was actually my second post to this thread. Not a big deal anyways, I was just clarifying, but I understand now that you did not read or see my initial post. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
HeLiXe said:
That was actually my second post to this thread. Not a big deal anyways, I was just clarifying, but I understand now that you did not read or see my initial post. :)

I am sorry for not reading it. I must have missed it while typing my reply to mege. But, now that I have read it, it further corroborates my point. Namely, don't take Physics in summer if it is a core course for your curriculum.

This isn't even a physics course lol.

GAH scratch all of what I said...I couldn't deal! I just dropped her miserable @$$ class -_-

QuarkCharmer said:
I think these guys are reputable, so I am told at least.
http://web.mit.edu/catalog/summer/course_08.html

I wish I were over exaggerating the severity of my circumstance, but sadly I am not. I have no problem teaching myself, though it is frustrating because you know, I am paying them!, but even self study leading to full knowledge of the material seems frustrating because of the phrasing of the test/quiz questions. There are always a few questions that do not come from the lecture (if you can call it that) or the book.

QC,

My two cents, for what it is worth, if this professor is really as bad as you say she/he is I would report him/her to the academic dean. If you are smart and lobby classmates who feel the same, who all agree on points that are beyond dispute, showing up in the Dean's office with a bunch of students with you on the same page will have an effect.

I did it on college, and they backed down on forcing requirements down our throats that we did not agree to when we signed on to the program. My situation did not involve a professor, it involved a committee, who upon review of the situation had to make an exception for those involved. The bottom line was we found the right person, with the right amount of power and influence, and we prevailed in the situation. I wish you well in yours.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: