How do I minimize/prevent AND recover from burnout from studying?

In summary: Alternatively, if you're feeling burnt out already and you're not sure what might be causing it, you could try doing some relaxation exercises or activities that you enjoy.
shivajikobardan
TLDR-: student who feels like doing nothing eg not like to even read a page during some days. Used to happen a lot during exams. Is happening since 15 days, visited doctor, started taking meds. Meds might be doing their work. I need some guidance and advice that I might be missing.

1) I am Computer Engineering student and burnout is really a huge issue for me. I keep getting burn out(IDK the exact word for this tbh). I feel exhausted. I feel fed up studying. It feels like a brain fog. I don't feel like opening my textbook or watching video. I don't want to do anything at all. I instead browse reddit, watch youtube videos to pass my time. I feel so resistant to studying I don't have a word for that man. This has been happening to me since last 15 days. I am simply idle. It is not like I don't feel fear. Even if I feel fear, I feel like doing nth. I have already consulted doctor and doctor just gives me medicines and nth more. So hope people here will be considerate and give tips independent or dependent my medical conditions. My life really sucks due to this.

2) Even now I have been feeling this thing for around 15 days. I went to Psychiatrist and he added proate medicine. Hope that works. But even though it works I still need some advices and guidances as medicines can't fix everything.

3) It is not like I study 10 hrs everyday. I study 3-5 hrs everyday normally. I even had a vacation where I traveled a lot and had lots of fun. So it is not due to lack of entertainment NOW. but I agree entertainment lacks in my life a lot. I don't have any ways to relax my mind as most ways to relax would be expensive like guitar. And it is winter it is really boring to do yoga, stretching and meditation. (I used to do it as well in the past but still got burn out so this is not the reason why I am getting burn out.).

4) My medical conditions-: The medicines that I am using are-: 1) Proate 500 2) Zosert 50 3) Sizodon 2

5) In the past when I used to get burnout only during exams-: We have 3 days gaps to study during each exam. Our exams last 1 month long And I would finish studying 40% of topics before exams and during exams at least during 2 exams(we would have 5-6-7 exams depending on semester). I would get burnout and fail to do anything during those exams..And I keep failing exams that I have already studied 40% because I can't focus during exams. The culture here in Nepal is most students study during those 3 days and pass the exam comfortably. I have improved here as well. In the past, I used to finish studying once and I would not make revision notes so I had to re-read what I have studied all again. But nowadays I make summaries while studying and just revise it. So it is a bit better in this case. But I still get burnout. 6) What are hobbies,activities that are not very expensive that I can do in order to prevent myself from being burnout very frequently. I won't mind a burnout every 3 month.

Physics news on Phys.org
I afraid, we can't offer the medical and health assistance of that level here. Mostly I know the problem you're describing. I didn't burnt out, but very close to it, and my recovery has taken 5 years thus far. Now I can usually keep up my working and health in normal times at home. But if it gets harder somehow, e.g. too busy, my health breaks.

Being such a hard and wide issue, I'd suggest you to talk to your doctor about it. Hopefully the doctor can suggest you some ways to reduce your risk to burn out.

1. How do I know if I am experiencing burnout from studying?

Burnout from studying can manifest in different ways, but some common signs include feeling exhausted and drained, having trouble concentrating, experiencing physical symptoms such as headaches or stomachaches, and feeling demotivated or disengaged from your studies.

2. What can I do to minimize or prevent burnout while studying?

To prevent burnout while studying, it is important to prioritize self-care. This can include setting boundaries and taking breaks, getting enough sleep, eating well, and engaging in activities that bring you joy and relaxation. It is also important to manage your workload and avoid taking on too much at once.

3. How can I recover from burnout caused by studying?

If you are already experiencing burnout from studying, it is important to take a step back and prioritize your well-being. This may mean taking a break from studying, seeking support from friends or a therapist, and engaging in self-care activities. It is also important to reevaluate your study habits and workload to prevent burnout in the future.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies that can help me recover from burnout?

Some techniques that can help with recovering from burnout include practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation. It can also be helpful to engage in physical activity, spend time in nature, and engage in hobbies or activities that bring you joy and help you recharge.

5. Can burnout from studying lead to long-term consequences?

If left untreated, burnout from studying can lead to long-term consequences such as chronic stress, anxiety, and depression. It can also impact academic performance and overall well-being. It is important to address burnout as soon as possible and make necessary changes to prevent it from becoming a long-term issue.