How to remember which to graph first?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with flipping graph coordinates and suggests using a hand gesture as a memory aid. The person should slow down and use their finger to plot the x coordinate first before finding the y coordinate.
Tyrion101
I have a kind of embarrassing problem. When I'm working on problems, especially if there's more than one in a row where it involves a bunch of coordinates I inevitably flip graphing them, instead of going for the x first ill go for the y. Is there a simple way of remembering to do it so I can know I remembered to do it right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you're aware of your mistakes, then you should probably slow down when answering the questions to make sure you've done it correctly.

I haven't had to do this myself, but maybe it would help if you used a hand gesture as an aid? If you need to plot (a,b) then first look at the value 'a' and drag your finger (pointed vertically on the page) from left to right across the plane until your finger is covering the required x-value of a. Your finger will be in the position of the line x=a. You can lightly trace a short portion of the line x=a too so that you don't need to hold your finger there any longer.
Once you have that line traced, just plot the y-value of b on that line and you've found your coordinate.

So remember: finger pointed vertically that you drag left to map the x coordinate.

Related to How to remember which to graph first?

1. How do I determine which variable to graph on the x-axis and which one on the y-axis?

The first step is to identify the independent variable, which is the one that you are manipulating or changing in your experiment. The dependent variable, which is the one that is affected by the independent variable, should be graphed on the y-axis. This will show the relationship between the two variables.

2. What if I have multiple independent variables?

If you have more than one independent variable, you can either create separate graphs for each one or use a line graph with multiple lines, each representing a different independent variable. Just make sure to label each line and include a key or legend to differentiate between them.

3. How do I decide on the scale for each axis?

The scale for each axis should be determined by the range of values for each variable. The scale should start at 0 and end at the highest value for each variable. Make sure to evenly space out the tick marks on each axis for a clear visualization of the data.

4. Is it better to use a bar graph or a line graph?

It depends on the type of data you have and the purpose of your graph. Bar graphs are useful for comparing discrete categories, while line graphs are better for showing trends and changes over time. Consider the type of data you have and choose the graph that best represents it.

5. What should I include in the title and labels for my graph?

The title of your graph should be descriptive and provide a clear overview of the data being presented. The labels for each axis should include the variable name and units of measurement, if applicable. Make sure to also include a legend or key for any different colors or lines used in the graph.