How to separate a rubber-ended hose from a gas regulator/connector?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter abdulbadii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Hose
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for removing a rubber-ended hose from a gas regulator/connector without causing damage. The recommended method involves using thin blades to press against the cut end of the rubber hose, or heating the rubber with boiling water if it is hard. However, it is mentioned that this kind of disconnection is not recommended for gas pipes and destructive methods may be preferred. There are also tools available to assist with removing push-lock hoses.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
Definitive and correct way to apart/separate a rubber-ended hose with the gas regulator/connector
Anyone outright experience or understand tips and tricks to apart/separate a rubber-ended hose with the gas regulator/connector (as the right pipe mouth below but sorry no rubber-end hose pic) ?

1670045934190.png

It indeed so hard
so any clear idea, with keep everything intact unbroken on mind, how to do and by help of which suitable liquid ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The serrated fitting on the RHS is called a hose barb. You can push a rubber hose onto the barb, because a hose expands when under axial compression. When you pull the hose to remove it, the hose contracts onto the barb and holds on tight.

To remove a hose from a barb, use a couple of thin blades to press against the cut end of the rubber hose. You can then push the hose off because the hose will expand under axial compression.

If the rubber is hard, you can heat it with boiling water to soften it.

If the rubber is bonded to the barb, hold the rubber on the barb with pliers, then rotate the rubber tube on the barb to break the bond.

Likes jrmichler, Lnewqban and abdulbadii
I don't know the relevant local recommendations and regulations, but here this kind of disconnection is not recommended any more for gas pipes. If the pipe is to be removed then destructive methods are preferred, so it could not be reconnected again: when a new connection is to be made, then all fresh is the way.
And if it's about appliances, then all new and factory made.

Yeah, I do know that if done with care it works. We did it that way back too. Just adding my piece.

1. How do I safely remove the rubber-ended hose from a gas regulator/connector?

To safely remove the rubber-ended hose from a gas regulator/connector, first make sure the gas supply is turned off. Then, use a pair of pliers to loosen the hose clamp and slide it down the hose. Twist and pull the hose off of the connector. Be careful not to damage the hose or the connector in the process.

2. Can I use any type of pliers to loosen the hose clamp?

It is recommended to use adjustable pliers or channel lock pliers to loosen the hose clamp. These types of pliers have a wide opening and can provide a better grip on the clamp, making it easier to loosen and remove.

3. How do I know if the rubber-ended hose is securely attached to the gas regulator/connector?

You can check the security of the hose by gently pulling on it. If it does not come off easily, then it is securely attached. You can also visually inspect the hose and connector for any signs of damage or wear that may affect the connection.

4. What should I do if the hose is stuck or difficult to remove?

If the hose is stuck or difficult to remove, do not force it. This could cause damage to the hose or the connector. Instead, try using a lubricant such as WD-40 to loosen the connection. If the hose still does not come off, seek assistance from a professional.

5. Is it necessary to replace the hose after removing it from the gas regulator/connector?

It is recommended to replace the hose after removing it from the gas regulator/connector, especially if it is old or shows signs of wear and tear. This will ensure a secure and safe connection for future use.