Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables

In summary, the problem involves considering a charge q with mass m moving in the x-y plane under the influence of a uniform magnetic field B, and showing that the Hamiltonian reduces to a simpler form using a transformation. This involves showing that the variables Q and P are conjugate dynamical variables, and demonstrating that they preserve the fundamental Poisson bracket relations. The Hamiltonian can then be expressed in terms of Q and P by seeking a transformation of the form H(Q,P) = f(P)^2/2m. The correct Poisson bracket relations for [Q,P] are found to be 1, indicating that the calculations are correct.
thecourtholio

Homework Statement

Consider a charge ##q##, with mass ##m##, moving in the ##x-y## plane under the influence of a uniform magnetic field ##\vec{B}=B\hat{z}##. Show that the Hamiltonian $$ H = \frac{(\vec{p}-q\vec{A})^2}{2m}$$ with $$\vec{A} = \frac{1}{2}(\vec{B}\times\vec{r})$$ reduces to $$ H(x,y,p_x,p_y) = \frac{(p_x+\frac{1}{2}qBy)^2}{2m} + \frac{(p_y-\frac{1}{2}qBx)^2}{2m}$$
Demonstrate
$$ Q = \frac{(p_x+\frac{1}{2}qBy)}{qB} \qquad \qquad P = (p_y-\frac{1}{2}qBx) $$
are conjugate dynamic variables, given ##x, p_x, y, p_y## are, then express $$H(Q,P)$$ in terms of ##m## and the cyclotron frequency, ##\omega \frac{qB}{m}##

Show next that
$$ P' = \frac{(p_x-\frac{1}{2}qBy)}{qB} \qquad \qquad Q' = (p_y+\frac{1}{2}qBx) $$
Are yet another, linearly-independent, conjugate pair whose brackets with ##Q,P## necessarily vanish, i.e.
$$ [Q,Q'] = [Q,P'] = [P,Q'] = [P,P'] = 0 $$
Argue from the foregoing that ##Q',P'## must be constants of the motion

Homework Equations

Most are listed in problem statement. Definition of poisson bracket (PB): $$ [Q,P] = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial q}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p} - \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p}\frac{\partial P}{\partial q} $$
Fundamental PBs: ## [q_i,q_k] = [p_i,p_k] = 0, \ \ [q_i,p_k] = \delta_{ik}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question is, how exactly do I show that ##Q,P## are conjugate dynamical variables? Is this just by evaluating the PBs ##[Q_i, Q_k], [P_i, P_k], \text{ and } [Q_i,P_k]## and proving they preserve the fundamental PBs? So far, I have found
$$ [Q_i, Q_k]_{q,p} = 0 $$
And
$$ [P_i,P_k]_{q,p} = 0$$
But for ##[Q_i,P_k]_{q,p}## I find
$$ [Q_i,P_k]_{q,p} = \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}qB \neq 1 (or \neq \delta_{ik})$$
So is this not what I need to be doing or am I just evaluating it wrong?

And as for expressing the Hamiltonian as functions of ##Q## and ##P##, what do I need to do? My prof kind of worked out finding ##H(q(Q,P), p(Q,P))## for a harmonic oscillator by seeking a transformation of the form ##H(q(Q,P),p(Q,P)) = \frac{f^2(P)}{2m}##, but I'm having trouble figureing out how to do it in the reverse, like ##H(Q(q,p), P(q,p))## for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear why, given the problem statement, you are using subscripts on the proposed conjugate variables of P and Q. There are just the two as I read the problem.
I get the correct Poisson bracket relations on [Q,P] so check your work.

jambaugh said:
I'm not clear why, given the problem statement, you are using subscripts on the proposed conjugate variables of P and Q. There are just the two as I read the problem.
I get the correct Poisson bracket relations on [Q,P] so check your work.

I was just using the indecies as good practice so i remember to use all indecies of Q or P later if they need it. But for [Q,P] I find
$$[Q,P] = \bigg[\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p_x} - \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_x}\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}\bigg] + \bigg[ \frac{\partial Q}{\partial y}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p_y} - \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_y}\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\bigg]$$
Where ##\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial P}{\partial p_x} = \frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_y} = 0## which make the PB
$$[Q,P] = -\frac{\partial Q}{\partial p_x}\frac{\partial P}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial Q}{\partial y}\frac{\partial P}{\partial p_y} = -(\frac{1}{qB})(-\frac{1}{2}qB) + (\frac{1}{2}qB)(1) = \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}qB$$ so where am I going wrong?

[itex] \partial Q / \partial y = \tfrac{1}{2}[/itex] , [itex] \partial P/\partial p_y = 1[/itex] So total bracket is [itex]\tfrac{1}{2} + \tfrac{1}{2} = 1[/itex] . Or did I mess up?

1. What are Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables?

Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables are a set of physical quantities that are related to each other through Hamilton's equations of motion. They describe the dynamics of a system in classical mechanics and are closely linked to the concept of energy.

2. How are Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables related to each other?

Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables are related to each other through a mathematical relationship called the Poisson bracket. This bracket operation allows for the calculation of the time evolution of the variables in a system.

3. What is the significance of Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables?

Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables play a crucial role in classical mechanics as they provide a complete description of the dynamics of a system. They also allow for the determination of conserved quantities, such as energy and momentum, which are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of a system.

4. Can Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables be used in other areas of physics?

While Hamiltonian conjugate dynamic variables were originally developed for use in classical mechanics, they have also found applications in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. In these fields, they are known as canonical variables and play a similar role in describing the dynamics of a system.

5. How does the Hamiltonian of a system relate to its conjugate dynamic variables?

The Hamiltonian of a system is a function of the conjugate dynamic variables and represents the total energy of the system. It is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of the system and is used to describe the time evolution of the conjugate dynamic variables through Hamilton's equations.