How to Solve 2D Collision Billiard Balls

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where two billiard balls of equal mass collide at right angles at the origin of an xy coordinate system. The initial velocities of the balls are given and the collision is assumed to be elastic. The homework equations for solving the problem are provided, but the student struggles to solve for any variables due to having too many unknowns. They are advised to start from the basic principles and consider which quantities will be conserved in the scenario in order to solve for one of the variables. The conversation ends with the student realizing their mistake and figuring out the solution.
Hotsuma

Homework Statement

Two billiard balls of equal mass move at right angles and meet at the origin of an xy coordinate system. Initially ball A is moving upward along the y-axis at 2.0, and ball B is moving to the right along the x-axis with speed 3.7$m/s$. After the collision (assumed elastic), the second ball is moving along the positive y axis.

Image:

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1057762/8/GIANCOLI.ch09.p056.jpg

Homework Equations

x direction: m_b*v_b = m_a*v_a*cos(\theta)
y direction: m_a*v_a = m_a*v'_a*cos(\theta) + m_b*v'_b*sin(\theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried plugging in the given values into those equations, but then i cannot solve for anything because I have too many unknowns. I have tried to solve for v'_a first but without any luck. I also tried combining the equations to no luck.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start from the basic principles and work your way to the specific solution rather than just plugging into an equation!

Think about which quantities will be conserved in this scenario and write down the corresponding conservation equations. Then see if you can solve for one of the variables.

Oh, I totally figured it out already, thanks. I actually didn't add the potential energy of the spring. i figured it out already, thanks.

Related to How to Solve 2D Collision Billiard Balls

What is a 2D Collision Billiard Ball?

A 2D Collision Billiard Ball is a simulation or model of the motion and interactions of billiard balls on a flat, two-dimensional surface. It takes into account the laws of physics, such as conservation of momentum and energy, to predict the movement and collisions of the balls.

How are 2D Collision Billiard Balls used in science?

2D Collision Billiard Balls are often used as a simplified representation of complex systems in physics and mathematics. They can be used to study and understand concepts such as elastic collisions, friction, and angular momentum. They are also commonly used in computer simulations and experiments to test theories and make predictions.

What factors affect the motion and collisions of 2D Collision Billiard Balls?

The motion and collisions of 2D Collision Billiard Balls are primarily affected by the masses, velocities, and angles of the balls. Other factors such as the surface friction, elasticity of the balls, and any external forces applied can also impact their movement.

Can 2D Collision Billiard Balls be used to predict real-world scenarios?

Yes, 2D Collision Billiard Balls can be used to predict real-world scenarios. While they may not perfectly represent the complexities of real-world systems, they can provide valuable insights and predictions that can be applied to real-life situations. They can also be used to test and validate theories before conducting costly experiments or observations.

Are there limitations to using 2D Collision Billiard Balls in scientific studies?

While 2D Collision Billiard Balls can be a useful tool in scientific studies, they also have limitations. They are a simplified model and may not accurately represent all aspects of a real-world system. Additionally, they may not be suitable for studying certain phenomena, such as fluid dynamics or non-linear systems. It is important for scientists to carefully consider these limitations when using 2D Collision Billiard Balls in their research.