Inelastic 2D Collision with Vector Components

In summary: So the final answer isv = 5/6vf(sinθ+cosθ)andv' = 5/24vf(sinθ-cosθ)In summary, two balls with mass m and 4m collide at the location x=y=0 and stick. Their initial velocities just before the collision can be represented as v1=(i+j) v and v2=(j-i)v' respectively. Their final velocity vf makes an angle θ with the +x axis. By applying the equations for momentum conservation and using the x and y components of the initial velocities, we can determine that the final velocities are v = (5/6)vf(sinθ+cosθ) and v' = (5/
JwdePhysics

Homework Statement

Two balls with mass m and 4m collide at the location x=y=0 and stick. Their initial velocities just before the collision can be represented as v1=(i+j) v and v2=(j-i)v' respectively. Their final velocity vf makes an angle θ with the +x axis. Find v and v' in terms of vf and θ.

Homework Equations

p=mv
Thing x-component = Thing * cos θ (i)
Thing y-component = Thing * sin θ (j)

The Attempt at a Solution

Momentum is conserved meaning that the initial x and y components are equal to the final x and y components of momentum, so:

mv1x-4mv2x=(m+4m)vfcosθ
mv1y+4mv2y=(m+4m)vfsinθ

Simplifying the equations above and removing m yields

v1x-4v2x=5vfcosθ
v1y+4v2y=5vfsinθ

Then we know that the vectors v1 and v2 are equal to (i+j)v and (j-i)v' repsectively. We can represent each vector as

v1 = vi+vj
v2 = -v'i+v'j

where the i represents the x value and j represents the y component.

Now subsituting those components into the equation above yields
vi+4v'i=5vfcosθ
vj+4v'j=5vfcosθ

If I solve for v' first, I get v=(5vfcosθ-4iv')/i if we solve for v in the first equation above, and then subsituting that into the second equation gets j((5vfcosθ-4iv')/i)+4jv'=5vfsinθ

If we distribute the j and multiply the whole thing by i we get
5vfcosθij-4ijv'+4jiv'=5vfisinθ

However the two 4ijv' cancel and then I can't solve for v'. The same thing happens trying to solve for v.
Why does the v'/v keep canceling out?

Physics news on Phys.org
JwdePhysics said:

Homework Statement

Two balls with mass m and 4m collide at the location x=y=0 and stick. Their initial velocities just before the collision can be represented as v1=(i+j) v and v2=(j-i)v' respectively. Their final velocity vf makes an angle θ with the +x axis. Find v and v' in terms of vf and θ.

Homework Equations

p=mv
Thing x-component = Thing * cos θ (i)
Thing y-component = Thing * sin θ (j)

The Attempt at a Solution

Momentum is conserved meaning that the initial x and y components are equal to the final x and y components of momentum, so:

mv1x-4mv2x=(m+4m)vfcosθ
mv1y+4mv2y=(m+4m)vfsinθ

Simplifying the equations above and removing m yields

v1x-4v2x=5vfcosθ
v1y+4v2y=5vfsinθ

Then we know that the vectors v1 and v2 are equal to (i+j)v and (j-i)v' repsectively. We can represent each vector as

v1 = vi+vj
v2 = -v'i+v'j

where the i represents the x value and j represents the y component.

Now subsituting those components into the equation above yields
vi+4v'i=5vfcosθ
vj+4v'j=5vfcosθ
i and j are unit vectors along the x and y directions, respectively. You can not substitute components(scalar) with vectors.

ehild said:
i and j are unit vectors along the x and y directions, respectively. You can not substitute components(scalar) with vectors.
Wait what do you mean I can't subsitute vector comonents with vectors? v1x is the x component and v1y is the y component. And i is like the x component of the v1 vector and j is like the y component of the v1 vector

There is a lot of confusion between scalars and vectors here, compounded by the failure to distinguish them typographically.
In the question as stated, v1, v2, i and j are vectors, v and v' are scalars. vf is referred to as a vector, but it will be more convenient to make it a scalar, i.e. the magnitude of the final velocity. That allows you to write vfcos(θ) etc., which would be problematic if a vector.
JwdePhysics said:
mv1x-4mv2x=(m+4m)vfcosθ
Since we need vf to be scalar, v1x etc. must be scalars.
JwdePhysics said:
vi+4v'i=5vfcosθ
Since the right hand side is scalar, discard the i vectors on the left.
JwdePhysics said:
v=(5vfcosθ-4iv')/i
That makes no sense. You cannot divide by a vector.

haruspex said:
Since the right hand side is scalar, discard the i vectors on the left.
Oh ok thanks, however if I do discard the i's or j's the v/v' will still cancel out and I'm left with 5vfcosθ=5vfsinθ

Oh so I got it now:
v-4v'=5vfcosθ and v+v'=5vfsinθ

and if you solve that system you get v = 5/2vf(sinθ+cosθ)
and v' = 5/8vf(sinθ-cosθ)

I took into account the -i when making my equations so there was a +4v' in the first equation instead of a -4v'. Apparently the (j-i) just represents direction and you are only supposed to plug in the scalar v'.[/SUB]

JwdePhysics said:
v = 5/2vf(sinθ+cosθ)
and v' = 5/8vf(sinθ-cosθ)
Or, more correctly, v = (5/2)vf(sinθ+cosθ) and v' = (5/8)vf(sinθ-cosθ)

Sorry I came back after a while and noticed I messed up the second equation I wrote v+v'=5vfsinθ when it should be v+4v'=5vfsinθ since the second ball has 4 times the mass.

1. What is an inelastic 2D collision with vector components?

An inelastic 2D collision with vector components is a type of collision between two objects in which the kinetic energy is not conserved and the objects stick together after colliding. The collision occurs in a two-dimensional space and involves vectors, which represent both the magnitude and direction of the objects' velocities.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic 2D collision with vector components?

In an inelastic 2D collision with vector components, momentum is conserved through the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the system before and after the collision is equal. The momentum vector for each object is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity vector.

3. Can you explain the equation used to calculate the final velocities in an inelastic 2D collision with vector components?

The equation used to calculate the final velocities in an inelastic 2D collision with vector components is known as the conservation of momentum equation. It states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be represented as m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1 + m2)vfi, where m represents mass and v represents velocity.

4. What is the difference between an inelastic and an elastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and the objects stick together after colliding. In contrast, in an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the objects bounce off each other after colliding. Additionally, in an elastic collision, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system are conserved, while in an inelastic collision only the total momentum is conserved.

5. How is the angle of deflection calculated in an inelastic 2D collision with vector components?

The angle of deflection is calculated using the law of conservation of momentum and the law of conservation of energy. The angle can be found by using the equation tan θ = (m1v1i sin θ1 + m2v2i sin θ2) / (m1v1i cos θ1 + m2v2i cos θ2), where m represents mass, v represents velocity, and θ represents the angle of the object's velocity vector before and after the collision.