How to Solve a Spring and Pulley Problem with a 3.8-kg Sphere?

In summary: I thought it wasnt just because in like projectile motion problems when it asks how far something traveled and like where it hit the ground from its initial starting point the final velocity was never zero.You're right, that's a completely different problem. I was trying to figure out how to do (b) with (a) and (b) as equations. But I'm not quite sure how to do that. :(
MG5
A 3.8-kg sphere is suspended by a cord that passes over a 1.3-kg pulley of radius 3.5 cm. The cord is attached to a spring whose force constant is k = 86 N/m as in the figure below. Assume the pulley is a solid disk.

8-p-089.gif

(a) If the sphere is released from rest with the spring unstretched, what distance does the sphere fall through before stopping?

The answer to this is .866 m. Not sure how to get it though.

(b) Find the speed of the sphere after it has fallen 25 cm.

Answer to this is 1.73 m/s. Not sure how to get this either.

I'm not quite sure how to start this. I guess I'd use...

1/2kx2 for the spring, mgh since the sphere has PE before falling, 1/2mv2 for final KE of the falling sphere. And I'd have to do something about the pulley. I guess KE=Iω2 since its rotating? Not sure about that. And its a sphere that is falling and the I for a sphere is I=2/5mr2. Dont know if that's needed for this problem. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MG5! :smile:
MG5 said:
(a) If the sphere is released from rest with the spring unstretched, what distance does the sphere fall through before stopping?

The answer to this is .866 m. Not sure how to get it though.

same method you're using for (b), with final speed 0 for both the sphere and the pulley :wink:
(b) Find the speed of the sphere after it has fallen 25 cm.

Answer to this is 1.73 m/s. Not sure how to get this either.

I'm not quite sure how to start this. I guess I'd use...

1/2kx2 for the spring, mgh since the sphere has PE before falling, 1/2mv2 for final KE of the falling sphere. And I'd have to do something about the pulley. I guess KE=Iω2 since its rotating?

1/22, otherwise yes :smile:
And its a sphere that is falling and the I for a sphere is I=2/5mr2. Dont know if that's needed for this problem.

no, you only need moment of inertia if the sphere is rotating :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi MG5! :smile:

same method you're using for (b), with final speed 0 for both the sphere and the pulley :wink:

1/22, otherwise yes :smile:

no, you only need moment of inertia if the sphere is rotating :wink:

Yeah I meant to add the 1/2 in there. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to give it another shot and see how it goes.

For what its worth for (a), when the sphere loses the maximum PE, the spring will have gained maximum PE. Conveniently, at this time the pulley is not spinning. This does not help with (b) though.

Ok this is the equation I came up with. Doesnt seem right though.

mghi=1/2mv2+1/2kx2

I don't know what the height would be though

is this (a) or (b)? :confused:

if it's (a), v = 0; if it's (b), what about ω ?

As long as the cord does not stretch x and h will be related.

tiny-tim said:
is this (a) or (b)? :confused:

if it's (a), v = 0; if it's (b), what about ω ?

First I'm trying to figure out (a). Then I'll try to do (b)

Well the 1/2mv2 was the final KE. If it was initial it would be zero. But yeah I just realized I don't have the velocity either. Too many unknowns

MG5 said:
Well the 1/2mv2 was the final KE. If it was initial it would be zero. But yeah I just realized I don't have the velocity either. Too many unknowns

but the final velocity is also zero :wink:
MG5 said:
(a) …what distance does the sphere fall through before stopping?

tiny-tim said:
but the final velocity is also zero :wink:

yeah I saw that but I still wasnt sure.

So would it be something like mgh=1/2kx^2

MG5 said:
yeah I saw that but I still wasnt sure.

why??! :rolleyes:
So would it be something like mgh=1/2kx^2

yup! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
why??! :rolleyes:

yup! :biggrin:

I thought it wasnt just because in like projectile motion problems when it asks how far something traveled and like where it hit the ground from its initial starting point the final velocity was never zero. I thought we usually needed that value to find x. But that's a completely different problem. Now I know.

Only problem with that equation is I have no idea what the height is to put into mgh.

Set up an energy equation.
Remember that mgh, FOR THE PULLEY,is a constant until "Dovre falls"
(Dovre is a mountain chain in my native country Norway!)

MG5 said:
Only problem with that equation is I have no idea what the height is to put into mgh.

same as x ! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
same as x ! :smile:

but then there's two unknowns, one on each side of the equation. Sorry if I'm just really off with this. Hopefully you can bear with me.

MG5 said:
but then there's two unknowns, one on each side of the equation. Sorry if I'm just really off with this. Hopefully you can bear with me.

No worries! x = h. x can be substituted for h and vice-versa. [edit-- sorry]

Last edited:
lewando said:
No worries! x = y. x can be substituted for y and vice-versa.

Yeah but still. It could be giraffe lol. Its still an unknown.

You have 2 equations and 2 unknowns.

kx2/2= mgh

x = h

This is solvable.

[edit-- I originally said x = y, I meant x = h]

Last edited:
lewando said:
You have 2 equations and 2 unknowns.

kx2/2= mgh

x = h

This is solvable.

Yeah it is. Sorry I'm just not used to having to unknowns. As usual, I was making it much harder than it was.

I got it

3.8kg(9.8)x=1/2(86N/m)x^2

37.24x=43x^3

Subtract 37.24, then do 43/37.24, and you get the answer .866. That was easy.

Now the second part.

Finding the speed after it has fallen .25 meters.

What?
MG5 said:
3.8kg(9.8)x=1/2(86N/m)x^2

37.24x=43x^3

Subtract 37.24, then do 43/37.24, and you get the answer .866. That was easy.
There should be no subtraction and no x3.

Unless that's a typo, you got lucky on the math. Make sure you are clear on this before proceeding.

lewando said:
What?

There should be no subtraction and no x3.

Unless that's a typo, you got lucky on the math. Make sure you are clear on this before proceeding.

Yeah that was suppose to be x^2. and yeah I didnt subtract anything lol i don't know why I wrote that. I just ended up with 37.24=43x, divided, x =.866. I got it.

By now you should be thinking how to solve this with conservation of energy concepts. I need to clockout for the evening but I will leave you with this general outline:

When the system first begins, all the energy is in the sphere in the form of PE. Since PE is relative to some reference point, I suggest you use the result from (a) to serve as your maximum and minimum (zero) PEsphere references.

As the system begins moving, PEsphere is reduced, KEsphere starts increasing, PEspring starts increasing, and KEpulley starts increasing.

As arildno suggested, set up an energy equation involving all these terms. Relate the terms that you do not know (KEpulley, and KEsphere) to v, which you will solve for.

lewando said:
By now you should be thinking how to solve this with conservation of energy concepts. I need to clockout for the evening but I will leave you with this general outline:

When the system first begins, all the energy is in the sphere in the form of PE. Since PE is relative to some reference point, I suggest you use the result from (a) to serve as your maximum and minimum (zero) PEsphere references.

As the system begins moving, PEsphere is reduced, KEsphere starts increasing, PEspring starts increasing, and KEpulley starts increasing.

As arildno suggested, set up an energy equation involving all these terms. Relate the terms that you do not know (KEpulley, and KEsphere) to v, which you will solve for.

Ok so something like 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2 = 1/2Iw^2. not quite though but yeah I've been trying to set up the conservation equation and cancelling out the things i don't need

(just got up :zzz:)
MG5 said:

show us what you've got :smile:

1. What is a spring-pulley problem?

A spring-pulley problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion and forces of an object attached to a spring that is also connected to a pulley system. These types of problems often require the use of Hooke's law and Newton's laws of motion to solve.

2. How do I solve a spring-pulley problem?

To solve a spring-pulley problem, you will need to follow a few steps. First, draw a diagram of the setup and label all the known and unknown variables. Then, use Hooke's law to calculate the force exerted by the spring. Next, use Newton's laws of motion to determine the net force and acceleration of the system. Finally, use these values to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving spring-pulley problems?

One common mistake when solving spring-pulley problems is forgetting to consider the tension in the rope or string attached to the pulley. Another mistake is not setting up the correct equations or not considering all the forces acting on the system. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations.

4. Can I use the same approach to solve all spring-pulley problems?

While the general approach to solving spring-pulley problems is the same, the specific steps and equations may vary depending on the given problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and adjust your approach accordingly.

5. Are there any tips for solving spring-pulley problems more efficiently?

One helpful tip for solving spring-pulley problems is to break the problem down into smaller parts. For example, you can solve for the motion of the object attached to the spring first, and then use that information to solve for the motion of the pulley. It can also be helpful to double-check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.