Two blocks connected with spring and pulley

In summary, a system consisting of a 20.0kg block connected to a 30.0kg block by a massless string over a frictionless pulley, with the 30.0kg block connected to a spring with a force constant of 250 N/m, is set up on a frictionless incline at an angle of 40 degrees. The 20.0kg block is pulled 20cm down the incline and then released from rest. The goal is to find the final speed of each block when the spring is again unstretched. The correct equation for this problem should take into account the change in position of each block and the spring PE at the final position.
Ab17

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1= 20.0kg connected to a block of mass m2 =30.0 kg by a massless string that passes over a light, frictionless pulley. The 30.0-kg block is connected to a spring that has negligible mass and a force constant of k =250 N/m as shown in Figure P8.64. The spring is unstretched when the system is as shown and the incline is frictionless. The 20kg block is pulled a distance 20cm down the incline of angle theta = 40 degrees and released from rest find the speed of each block when the spring is again unstreched

Homework Equations

Ei =Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

Iam confused if we should have 0.5Kx2 as the energy in the system finally. This how I think the equation should be set up but I am not sure if my reasoning is right for the 1/2kx2 being there (the mass of the block will compress the string isnt.
Taking the intial point from when m2 is 20cm down and m1 is 20cm up :

M2gh + 1/2kx2 = 1/2(M1 + M2)vf2 + M1gh + 1/2kx2

Would this be correct. At the final position the spring will compress 0.784 since:
M2g = kx
X = (20)(9.8)/250
X = 0.784

So is my reasoning correct or am I having misconceptions

Physics news on Phys.org
Two problems I see:
- The final position is with the spring unstretched. So what does that tell you about the spring PE at that point?
- Realize that the masses do not have the same change in vertical position, since one is on an incline.

1. How does the spring affect the motion of the two blocks?

The spring serves as a restoring force that pulls the two blocks towards each other when they are stretched or compressed. This results in an oscillatory motion where the blocks move back and forth around their equilibrium position.

2. What is the role of the pulley in this system?

The pulley changes the direction of the tension force in the spring, allowing both blocks to move in the same direction. It also helps distribute the weight of the blocks evenly, preventing one block from pulling the other down.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation in this system?

The frequency of oscillation is affected by the mass of the blocks, the stiffness of the spring, and the length of the spring. A heavier mass, stiffer spring, and shorter length will result in a higher frequency of oscillation.

4. Can the two blocks have different masses and still oscillate?

Yes, the two blocks can have different masses and still oscillate as long as the spring is able to exert enough force to move the heavier block. However, the frequency of oscillation will be affected by the difference in masses.

5. Is this system an example of simple harmonic motion?

Yes, this system is an example of simple harmonic motion because the restoring force (provided by the spring) is directly proportional to the displacement of the blocks from their equilibrium position and is always directed towards the equilibrium position.