How to Solve Hydraulic Jump Problems with Conservation of Momentum and Mass?

In summary, the problem involves a hydraulic jump in a fluid flow and the question asks for the solution in terms of given quantities. The momentum balance equation is derived and the effects of viscous dissipation and horizontal streambed stress are discussed. Including these effects would require solving the turbulent Navier-Stokes equations using a computational fluid dynamics code.
member 428835

Homework Statement

The question is stated here, though I'm happy to repost but they include a picture. I should say this is not homework, I'm doing problems for practice.
http://web.mit.edu/2.25/www/5_pdf/5_04.pdf

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum/mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of mass between stations 1 and 2 is ##h_1V_1=h_2V_2##. I'm unsure how to approach momentum since I would typically make my CV the fluid between stations 1 and 2, but there is viscous dissipation in the jump, as illustrated. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

The question is stated here, though I'm happy to repost but they include a picture. I should say this is not homework, I'm doing problems for practice.
http://web.mit.edu/2.25/www/5_pdf/5_04.pdf

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum/mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of mass between stations 1 and 2 is ##h_1V_1=h_2V_2##. I'm unsure how to approach momentum since I would typically make my CV the fluid between stations 1 and 2, but there is viscous dissipation in the jump, as illustrated. Any ideas?
Viscous dissipation involves internal forces, so no net affect on momentum.
You are told to ignore horizontal stress from streambed, so no affect from that either.

Likes Nidum and Chestermiller
Thanks! Then the momentum equation on the CV of fluid from station 1 to station 2 (assuming the hydraulic jump is stationary) is $$\partial_t \iiint \rho \vec{V} \, dV + \iint_{\partial V} \rho \vec{V} (\vec{V_{rel}}\cdot \hat{n})\, dS = \sum F\implies\\
\iint_{\partial V} \rho \vec{V} (\vec{V_{rel}}\cdot \hat{n})\, dS = -\iint_{\partial V} P \hat{n}\, dS\implies\\
\int_0^b \int_0^{h_1} \rho V_1 \hat{i} (V_1 \hat{i} \cdot(-\hat{i}))\, dz\,dy+\int_0^b \int_0^{h_2} \rho V_2 \hat{i} (V_2 \hat{i} \cdot(\hat{i}))\, dz\,dy = -\int_0^b \int_0^{h_1}P_1 (-\hat{i}) \, dz\,dy -\int_0^b \int_0^{h_2}P_2 \hat{i} \, dz\,dy\implies\\
\rho (V_2^2 h_2-V_1^2 h_1) = P_1h_1-P_2h_2$$ Hydrostatic pressure is ##P=\rho g z##, so assuming this holds then average pressure along ##A_1## is $$P_1 = \frac{1}{b h_1}\int_0^b \int_0^{h_1} \rho g z \, dz \, dy = \frac{\rho g h_1}{2}$$ where I assume atmospheric pressure is 0. Then the final result for the momentum balance is
$$V_2^2 h_2-V_1^2 h_1 = \frac{g h_1^2}{2}-\frac{g h_2^2}{2}$$ This along with continuity gives us the solution in terms of asked quantities. Is this correct?
haruspex said:
Viscous dissipation involves internal forces, so no net affect on momentum.
So viscous dissipation does not change the time derivative of momentum? Could you briefly explain why?

haruspex said:
You are told to ignore horizontal stress from streambed, so no affect from that either.
So how would this balance change if we were not to ignore the horizontal streambed stress? I think the additional force would be $$-\iint_{\partial V} \mu \vec{V} \otimes \vec{V} \cdot \hat{n} \, dS$$ Would we have to take this to Navier Stokes?

Solutions for this problem and the previous nozzle problem can be easily found in undergraduate fluid mechanics textbooks and also online .

Nidum said:
Solutions for this problem and the previous nozzle problem can be easily found in undergraduate fluid mechanics textbooks and also online .
Could you list the books?

joshmccraney said:
Thanks! Then the momentum equation on the CV of fluid from station 1 to station 2 (assuming the hydraulic jump is stationary) is $$\partial_t \iiint \rho \vec{V} \, dV + \iint_{\partial V} \rho \vec{V} (\vec{V_{rel}}\cdot \hat{n})\, dS = \sum F\implies\\
\iint_{\partial V} \rho \vec{V} (\vec{V_{rel}}\cdot \hat{n})\, dS = -\iint_{\partial V} P \hat{n}\, dS\implies\\
\int_0^b \int_0^{h_1} \rho V_1 \hat{i} (V_1 \hat{i} \cdot(-\hat{i}))\, dz\,dy+\int_0^b \int_0^{h_2} \rho V_2 \hat{i} (V_2 \hat{i} \cdot(\hat{i}))\, dz\,dy = -\int_0^b \int_0^{h_1}P_1 (-\hat{i}) \, dz\,dy -\int_0^b \int_0^{h_2}P_2 \hat{i} \, dz\,dy\implies\\
\rho (V_2^2 h_2-V_1^2 h_1) = P_1h_1-P_2h_2$$ Hydrostatic pressure is ##P=\rho g z##, so assuming this holds then average pressure along ##A_1## is $$P_1 = \frac{1}{b h_1}\int_0^b \int_0^{h_1} \rho g z \, dz \, dy = \frac{\rho g h_1}{2}$$ where I assume atmospheric pressure is 0. Then the final result for the momentum balance is
$$V_2^2 h_2-V_1^2 h_1 = \frac{g h_1^2}{2}-\frac{g h_2^2}{2}$$ This along with continuity gives us the solution in terms of asked quantities. Is this correct?
This is what I got.
So viscous dissipation does not change the time derivative of momentum? Could you briefly explain why?
The system is at steady state.
So how would this balance change if we were not to ignore the horizontal streambed stress? I think the additional force would be $$-\iint_{\partial V} \mu \vec{V} \otimes \vec{V} \cdot \hat{n} \, dS$$ Would we have to take this to Navier Stokes?
If you wanted to include the horizontal streambed stress, you would have to get the viscous shear stress at the wall. But to do that, you would have to solve the turbulent NS equations (say using a CFD code) inside the control volume.

joshmccraney said:
This is what I got.
The system is at steady state.
If you wanted to include the horizontal streambed stress, you would have to get the viscous shear stress at the wall. But to do that, you would have to solve the turbulent NS equations (say using a CFD code) inside the control volume.

joshmccraney said:
Could you list the books?

The one I actually have is Massey - Mechanics of Fluids 2nd Edition . There is good coverage in it of hydraulic jumps and related things like broad weirs and under water obstructions

http://www.slideshare.net/NiteshSingh36/massey-mechanicsoffluids-1

Thank you all very much!

What is a hydraulic jump?

A hydraulic jump is a phenomenon that occurs when a fast-moving fluid abruptly slows down and increases in depth. This results in a turbulent region with high energy dissipation.

What causes a hydraulic jump?

A hydraulic jump is caused by a sudden change in the flow rate or channel geometry of a fluid. This can happen when a fast-moving fluid encounters a slower-moving fluid or when a fluid flows from a wide channel to a narrow channel.

What are the applications of hydraulic jumps?

Hydraulic jumps are commonly used in hydraulic engineering to dissipate energy and reduce the potential for erosion in water channels. They are also utilized in wastewater treatment plants to mix and aerate the water.

What factors affect the characteristics of a hydraulic jump?

The characteristics of a hydraulic jump, such as its height and length, are influenced by factors such as the flow rate, fluid properties, and channel geometry. Other factors include the presence of obstacles, changes in the channel slope, and the roughness of the channel walls.

Can hydraulic jumps be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, hydraulic jumps can be controlled and manipulated through the use of structures such as weirs and baffles. These structures can alter the flow rate and channel geometry, resulting in a desired hydraulic jump characteristic. Computer simulations and experimental studies are also used to study and manipulate hydraulic jumps in different scenarios.