How to solve mass-spring system when affected by torque in a pulley?

In summary, the equation for torque is given by: Torque = moment of inertia times angular acceleration, where C is a factor of dampening.
bolzano95
Homework Statement
Write a differential equation for a mass-spring system.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
pulley.png

image1.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bolzano95 said:
There is no friction between the rope and pulley.
You don't mean that. A frictionless pulley means there is no friction at the axle.
If there were no friction between pulley and rope the pulley would not turn; the rope would just slide over it.

A few mistakes towards the end.
Torque = moment of inertia times.. what?
A factor of R seems to have disappeared somewhere.

haruspex said:
You don't mean that. A frictionless pulley means there is no friction at the axle.
If there were no friction between pulley and rope the pulley would not turn; the rope would just slide over it.

A few mistakes towards the end.
Torque = moment of inertia times.. what?
A factor of R seems to have disappeared somewhere.
Sorry, I meant the rope does not slip on the pulley.

I fixed the last equations and double checked the R-s. But I'm still confused by what you mean with
Torque = moment of inertia times ... what?
The torque in this case is given as a product of C and angular velocity, where C is a factor of dampening.

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 12.39.24.png

Is this correct?

bolzano95 said:
The torque in this case is given as a product of C and angular velocity
Torque has dimension ##ML^2T^{-2}##. Moment of inertia is ##ML^2## and angular velocity is ##T^{-1}##. Multiplying those last two gives ##ML^2T^{-1}##, not torque.

bolzano95 said:
C is a factor of dampening.
There is no damping here (much less dampening - all is dry). The forces are all conservative.

I checked the torque and I agree there is something wrong, but unfortunately I have to use the given formula (it's mandatory). But I think that in the coefficient C are hidden necessary units.

I suppose that the goal of this problem is to write a homogeneous linear differential formula, but what I get is a nonhomogeneous one. So I just wanted to check if my solving process is correct.

bolzano95 said:
I have to use the given formula (it's mandatory)
Either you were given the wrong formula or you have misunderstood.
The equation is ##\tau=I\alpha##, torque equals moment of inertia times angular acceleration.

The statement “... there is a torque in the axis or rotation” suggests to me that the shown diagram does not correspond with the text of this problem.

Lnewqban said:
The statement “... there is a torque in the axis or rotation” suggests to me that the shown diagram does not correspond with the text of this problem.
Good point.
@bolzano95, does that statement correspond to a part of the problem statement that you have left out? I.e. your ##-C\omega## term is correct but your error is that you left out the ##-I\alpha## term from the torque difference?

I remain doubtful of that because axial friction should be ##-C\frac{\omega}{|\omega|}(T_1+T_2)##.

Edit: added tension factor above.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

What is a mass-spring system?

A mass-spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The spring provides a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

How is torque affected by a pulley in a mass-spring system?

In a mass-spring system, a pulley can introduce a torque, or rotational force, on the system. This torque can affect the motion of the mass and spring, causing changes in their displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What is the equation for solving a mass-spring system affected by torque in a pulley?

The equation for solving a mass-spring system affected by torque in a pulley is given by:
F = ma = -kx + Iα
where F is the net force on the mass, m is the mass, a is the acceleration, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the mass, I is the moment of inertia of the pulley, and α is the angular acceleration.

How do you determine the moment of inertia of a pulley in a mass-spring system?

The moment of inertia of a pulley in a mass-spring system can be determined by using the formula:
I = ½MR²
where M is the mass of the pulley and R is the radius of the pulley.

What are some real-life applications of a mass-spring system affected by torque in a pulley?

A mass-spring system affected by torque in a pulley can be found in various real-life applications such as weightlifting machines, clock pendulums, and car suspensions. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of oscillating systems.