How to Start Embedded Systems Programming

In summary, to start learning embedded systems programming, you should have experience in assembly and C languages, as well as knowledge of specific protocols or systems related to the type of embedded programming you are interested in. It is also helpful to understand the operating system used in these devices, such as Linux. Some popular processors for embedded applications include ARM, but knowledge of ARM assembly language may not be necessary. It is important to research the specific requirements of potential employers in order to focus your learning.
darkchild
I want to learn some embedded systems programming on my own and explore it as a career option. Where should I start? Book recommendations? I have programming experience in assembly, C and higher level languages, and I've taken one computer architecture course. I love my linux, so I'm interested in embedded linux, but I really need sort of an overview of everything that is out there.

I thought that maybe I could get an Arduino kit, cook up some projects, and showcase it online to help me get jobs. Would that be a good idea, or would I just look like an idiot? I know Arduino projects probably aren't considered serious work, but I don't know much about it yet.

Technology news on Phys.org
Experience with assembly and C should be enough to get you started. Some experience with something related to the specific type of embedded programming will help, such as knowledge of SATA protocol if you were going to work with hard drives or dvd type devices. Usually these type of devices use some type of pre-emptive multi-tasking operating system, but most of the code written for such devices doesn't have to deal with the multi-tasking aspect much, since the OS handles it. Some of the more complicated embedded devices use linux or something similar for the operating system.

One popular processor for embedded applications is the ARM processor, but the amount of assembly work you would do at a typcial company would be little or none, so knowing ARM assembly language isn't going to help much. The ARM development tools tend to be expensive, so I don't think it would be worth buying a software kit.

It would help to find out what potential employers are looking for, which is usually included in the job descriptions.

Last edited:

1. What is embedded systems programming?

Embedded systems programming is the process of designing, developing, and programming computer systems that are integrated into devices such as cars, appliances, and medical equipment. These systems are often dedicated to performing specific tasks and have limited resources compared to traditional computer systems.

2. What are the essential skills for embedded systems programming?

The essential skills for embedded systems programming include knowledge of programming languages such as C and assembly, understanding of hardware and electronics, problem-solving abilities, and familiarity with real-time operating systems and microcontrollers.

3. How do I get started with embedded systems programming?

To get started with embedded systems programming, you can begin by learning the fundamentals of programming in C and assembly. You can also explore basic electronics and microcontroller concepts. Additionally, it is helpful to have hands-on experience with development boards and tools, and to practice writing simple programs for embedded systems.

4. What are some common challenges in embedded systems programming?

Some common challenges in embedded systems programming include dealing with limited resources and memory, ensuring real-time performance, debugging hardware and software issues, and managing power consumption. Additionally, working with various hardware components and integrating them can also pose challenges.

5. How can I improve my skills in embedded systems programming?

To improve your skills in embedded systems programming, you can continue to learn and practice using development boards and tools, as well as work on personal projects. You can also attend workshops, conferences, and online courses to expand your knowledge and network with other professionals in the field. Additionally, staying updated on industry trends and advancements can also help you improve your skills.