How to stop PF GUI auto changing i to I?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Auto Gui
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a spell-check feature on the user's web browser, particularly with the automatic capitalization of the letter "i" which is causing issues with complex analysis posts. The user uses Internet Explorer version 10 and has a spelling correction add-on installed, but does not see any options for managing the spell checker. They also note that the auto-capitalization only occurs when there are spaces in the text. They suggest omitting spaces when formatting math code with the letter "i" to avoid this issue.
jackmell
Hi,

I notice my posts now have spell-check which I like but it's also changing little I to capital I which is a problem for me since I frequently make complex analysis posts which involves complex i. . I believe that's my web browser doing that right and not PF? Is there a way to disable the little I to big I auto-correction and not affect the other spell-check corrections?

Thanks,
Jack

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is your computer (probably the web browser), indeed.
Which browser do you use? Any add-ons installed?

mfb said:
It is your computer (probably the web browser), indeed.
Which browser do you use? Any add-ons installed?

Hi, sorry about that. I'm using IE version 10 and I now see it has a spelling correction add-on. But when I go into managing add ons, I don't see any options for managing the spell checker.

I'm just now realizing it doesn't correct it without spaces as in [itex]ig(x)[/itex] but if I were to put a space in it, even in tex mode, it would auto-capitalize the I like [itex]I g(x)[/itex].

I suppose if there is no way to fix this, I can learn to omit spaces when I'm formatting math code with I in it .

1. Why does the PF GUI automatically change "i" to "I"?

The PF GUI uses standard capitalization rules for proper nouns, which includes capitalizing the first person singular pronoun "I". This is a common feature in many word processing programs.

2. How can I prevent the PF GUI from changing "i" to "I"?

You can turn off this feature by going to the "Preferences" or "Options" menu in the PF GUI and finding the autocorrect or autocapitalization settings. From there, you can deselect the option to automatically capitalize "i".

3. Can I customize the autocorrect or autocapitalization settings in the PF GUI?

Yes, most word processing programs allow users to customize their autocorrect and autocapitalization settings. You can add or remove words that you want the program to automatically correct or capitalize, or you can turn off these features altogether.

4. Will turning off autocorrect or autocapitalization affect other words in my document?

If you turn off the autocorrect or autocapitalization feature in the PF GUI, it will only affect the specific words you have added to the list. Other words will still be subject to standard spelling and capitalization rules.

5. How can I make sure my document is consistent in its use of capitalization?

In addition to using autocorrect or autocapitalization features, you can also use the "Find and Replace" function in the PF GUI to quickly change all instances of "i" to "I" or vice versa. This can help ensure consistency in your document's capitalization.