How to Stop Windows Update From Automatically Rebooting?

• Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: This problem is solved by checkpointing, which has been around for half a century at least and it is something all grownups do when running long jobs.
The fact that I have protected my system from receiving malware attacks (and I am locked down pretty tight here) does not release you from the obligation of protecting your computers from sending them.

A DDOS attack impacts me no matter how well I am protected. (Indeed, it doesn't even need to be directed at me - just a machine that uses the same upstream router)

Likes Astronuc and pbuk
Computer science news on Phys.org
jack action said:
But what I'm afraid of, is being forced to live my life according to other people's fears. It always begins as an option, and then someone proposes "Anyway, everyone should do it, right? Why not make a law about it? We've already done it before so it must be OK."

That's why I will never give an inch to anyone saying others have the responsibility to calm his fears or make his life easier.

We need to work together and stick to agreed norms to make society work otherwise everything descends into chaos if everyone does whatever they feel like.

Likes Vanadium 50 and pbuk
Haorong Wu said:
Even I turn the damn update off in service and group policy, it turned itself on last night! It rebooted my computer while my program is still running! It ruined my last three days! :cry::cry::cry:
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

oops, this is for windows 7 and 8

"So, now, every time this PC wants to up-date, I make sure to force one on 'Box', too..."

And did so yesterday. Took a remarkably long time, but meant I could then render overnight without concern...

Likes FactChecker
Nik_2213 said:
"So, now, every time this PC wants to up-date, I make sure to force one on 'Box', too..."

And did so yesterday. Took a remarkably long time, but meant I could then render overnight without concern...
I recommend routinely checking for updates and doing them before starting any program that needs to run a long time.

Likes Nik_2213 and sysprog
FactChecker said:
I recommend routinely checking for updates and doing them before starting any program that needs to run a long time.
I'm ok with that recommendation; however, I prefer disallowing all 'updates' that I didn't explicitly authorize. That can be a bit laborious with Win 10. I think that I should ask permission from a Mentor/Moderator before publishing a full eplanation of how to do it here; however, a search on 'disabling Windows Update Service Medic triggers' may be helpful in that regard.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu and Nik_2213
I do not allow graphic card driver updates because they try to install FPS-tweaked 'gamer' versions.
This might be okay for a single card, but my matched pair of GeForce GTX 750 Ti cards need the 'generic' Nvidia driver to 'play nice' together, drive four displays stably and ray-trace efficiently.

FWIW, when I priced upgrading even one of those two cards, I realized would be significantly cheaper and better --A rare combo !-- to build a network-render PC for CPU-only ray-tracing. Also, more 'future-resistant' as not limited to GPU's RAM. Hence 'Box'. Whose Ryzen-7 quietly deploys all its many cores at 95~~100%, grabs as much of the 32 GB mobo RAM as it needs. Swoosh !

Likes Tom.G and sysprog