How to take a matrix outside the diagonal operator?

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the equation trace(A*Diag(B*B^T)*A^T) = norm(W,2), where W = vec(sqrt(diag(A^T*A))*B) and sqrt(diag(A^T*A)) is the square root of diag(A^T*A). The conversation also discusses the conversion of equation 70 into equation 71 using the formula ||vec(A)||_2^2 = tr{AA^H}. The question is about the rearrangement of terms in equations 70 and 71 and how to prove the equality of the yellow highlighted terms in both equations.
Umesh
How to derive (proof) the following

trace(A*Diag(B*B^T)*A^T) = norm(W,2),

where W = vec(sqrt(diag(A^T*A))*B)
&
sqrt(diag(A^T*A)) is the square root of diag(A^T*A),

B & A are matrix.

Please see the equation 70 and 71 on page 2068 of the supporting matrial.

Attachments

• MSE-Based_Transceiver_Designs_for_Full-Duplex_MIMO_Cognitive_Radios.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Physics news on Phys.org
diag(A) can be expressed in suffix notation as [itex]\delta_{ijk}A_{jk}[/itex] where [tex]
\delta_{ijk} = \begin{cases} 1 & i = j = k, \\ 0 & \mbox{otherwise}. \end{cases}[/tex]

Umesh said:
where W = vec(sqrt(diag(A^T*A))*B)
&
sqrt(diag(A^T*A)) is the square root of diag(A^T*A),
diag(##A^TA##) is a square matrix. If we let D = diag(##A^T A##), then what you're asking about is ##\sqrt D##. I don't see anywhere in equations 70 and 71 that they are taking the square root of a matrix. The only square roots I see are the square roots of what appear to be some constants.

Although it does make sense to take the square root of a square matrix (##A = \sqrt B \Rightarrow A^2 = B##) it's not clear to me whether this is what you mean or that you're taking the square root of each entry on the diagonal matrix.

Also, it's not clear to me why you are taking the square root of what I'm calling D.

Please check only yellow highlighted terms on page number 2068.
Eq. 70 is converted into eq. 71 using formula ||vec(A)||_2^2 = tr{AA^H} (3rd line of appendix).
My question is
In eq 70, the term H*V*V^H*H^H is inside, and R is outside the diagonal operator as
tr{R* diag(H*V*V^H*H^H)*R^H} and
In eq 71, R is inside, and the HV term is outside the diagonal operator and written as
|| vec( ( diag(R^H*R) )^0.5*H*V ||_2^2.
My question is how or what properties is used to take H*V outside and R^H*R inside the diagonal operator. ?
Or How can we proof yellow highlighted terms in eq 70 is equal to yellow highlighted terms in eq 71?
Please see the attached pdf file.

Attachments

• MSE-Based_Transceiver_Designs_for_Full-Duplex_MIMO_Cognitive_Radios.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Umesh said:
Please check only yellow highlighted terms on page number 2068.
Eq. 70 is converted into eq. 71 using formula ||vec(A)||_2^2 = tr{AA^H} (3rd line of appendix).
My question is
In eq 70, the term H*V*V^H*H^H is inside, and R is outside the diagonal operator as
tr{R* diag(H*V*V^H*H^H)*R^H} and
In eq 71, R is inside, and the HV term is outside the diagonal operator and written as
|| vec( ( diag(R^H*R) )^0.5*H*V ||_2^2.

Start from this expression. You are given [itex]\|\operatorname{vec}(A)\|_2^2 = \operatorname{tr}(AA^H)[/itex], so first apply that.

pasmith said:
Start from this expression. You are given [itex]\|\operatorname{vec}(A)\|_2^2 = \operatorname{tr}(AA^H)[/itex], so first apply that.
Please try to understand the question and then reply.

1. How do I take a matrix outside the diagonal operator?

To take a matrix outside the diagonal operator, you can use the transpose operation. This involves swapping the rows and columns of the matrix, effectively "flipping" it. This will move the diagonal elements to the top left and bottom right of the matrix, allowing you to easily extract them.

2. Can I use any matrix with the diagonal operator?

Yes, the diagonal operator can be applied to any square matrix. However, the resulting matrix may not always be meaningful or useful depending on the values in the original matrix. It is important to consider the purpose of taking a matrix outside the diagonal operator before applying it.

3. What is the purpose of taking a matrix outside the diagonal operator?

The purpose of taking a matrix outside the diagonal operator is to isolate and extract the diagonal elements of the matrix. This can be useful for performing operations on these elements separately, or for creating a new matrix with only the diagonal elements included.

4. Are there any other ways to extract the diagonal elements of a matrix?

Yes, there are other methods for extracting the diagonal elements of a matrix. One method is to use a loop to iterate through the rows and columns of the matrix and extract the elements at the same index. Another method is to use the diag() function, which returns a vector containing the diagonal elements of a matrix.

5. Can I put a matrix back into the diagonal operator after extracting the elements?

Yes, you can put a matrix back into the diagonal operator by using the transpose operation again. This will restore the original matrix with the extracted diagonal elements in their original positions. However, it is important to note that this may not always be a meaningful or useful operation depending on the purpose of taking the matrix outside the diagonal operator.