How to use a 4017 decade counter along with a 555 MONOSTABLE chip

• Thread starter Rhydo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counter
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of coupling a 4017 decade counter IC to the output pin of a 555 chip based monostable multivibrator in order to operate different devices in a sequential manner. The question of how to keep a device turned on after the 5-second pulse ends is also raised, with a suggestion to use a toggle flip flop connected to the output. The source of this information is also mentioned.
Rhydo
Hi!

I just finished building a 555 chip based monostable multivibrator with a output time of about 5 seconds after reception of the trigger.

Can I couple a 4017 decade counter IC to the output pin of the 555 so that I can use it to operate different devices one after the other depending on the trigger I keep giving after every 5 seconds?

I tried to look this question up on the net but the answer eludes me.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry I meant to say that I would like to keep a device turned on even after the 5 second clock pulse ends. The next device turns 'on' only when the next trigger is given

http://www.technologystudent.com/pdfs/COUNTER1.pdf

If a device is to stay on after the decade counter advances to the next output, how will you turn your device off. One way would be to connect a toggle flip flop to the output which would cause the device to turn off after the 4017 cycles around to the same output after 10 input pulses. Of course you would have to cycle through another 10 pulses to turn it on again.

1. How does a 4017 decade counter work?

A 4017 decade counter is an integrated circuit that counts from 0 to 9 in a loop. It has 10 output pins, one for each number, and advances to the next number every time it receives a clock pulse. The output pins can be used to control other devices, making it useful for sequencing or timing applications.

2. What is a 555 MONOSTABLE chip and how does it work with a 4017 decade counter?

A 555 MONOSTABLE chip is another type of integrated circuit that can be used to trigger a single output pulse when a trigger input is received. When used with a 4017 decade counter, the 555 chip can provide a clock pulse to the counter, allowing it to count in a controlled and timed manner.

3. How do I connect a 4017 decade counter and a 555 MONOSTABLE chip together?

To connect a 4017 decade counter and a 555 MONOSTABLE chip, you will need to connect the output of the 555 chip to the clock input of the 4017 counter. The trigger input of the 555 chip can be connected to a signal source or a button for manual triggering. Make sure to also connect the ground pins of both chips to a common ground.

4. Can I change the counting sequence of a 4017 decade counter?

Yes, the counting sequence of a 4017 decade counter can be changed by connecting different output pins to the reset pin. This will cause the counter to reset to a different number, effectively changing the counting sequence. Additionally, some 4017 chips have a "count enable" pin that can also be used to change the counting sequence.

5. What are some common applications for a 4017 decade counter and a 555 MONOSTABLE chip?

These two chips are commonly used together in electronic projects that require precise timing and sequencing, such as LED chasers, electronic dice, and simple games. They can also be used in more complex circuits for control and automation, such as in robotics or industrial control systems.