How to use partial factors

In summary, the individual is facing a dilemma with their current design for a mobile truck loader. They have used different partial factors for dead and live loads compared to the standard BS EN 1991-6 Design of crane structures. They are unsure if they need to change their calculations and if the partial factors need to be applied for each adjacent element. They are seeking guidance on how to proceed with their project.
NARESH NULU
Hi everyone my name naresh. I'm doing post graduation, currently working on my project. I've completed all the calculations for it, but i have a small doubut. I've designed a mobile truck loader for which I've taken partial factors 1.35 and 1.5 for dead load and live load respectively. but BS EN 1991-6 Design of crane structures the partial factors are 1.4 and 1.6 respectively. The operation is smooth so i preferred 1.35 and 1.5 for general structural design BS EN 1991-1. What do i do, I've done all the calculations. do i need to change them. my guide is not helping in anything. and

Other most important thing is, I've taken the loads multiplied by 1.35 and 1.5 for a beam and for the supporting structure, i give the reaction of the beam directly on the supporting structure. do i need to multiply 1.35 and 1.5 corresponding values everytime I'm designing adjecent element. or once is enough. please let me.. I've eagarly waiting for your reply,

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your design currently does not meet the standard, so your next step is to evaluate if in fact you are required to meet or exceed this standard. If yes, you'll need to modify the design.

Mech_Engineer said:
Your design currently does not meet the standard, so your next step is to evaluate if in fact you are required to meet or exceed this standard. If yes, you'll need to modify the design.
What about partial factors, do i need to multiply this value everytime i want to design the adjecent members.

What are partial factors and why are they used?

Partial factors are values that are used to adjust the nominal or characteristic values of variables in structural design. They are used to account for uncertainties and variations in material properties, loads, and other factors that may affect the safety and reliability of a structure.

How are partial factors determined?

Partial factors are determined through a combination of probabilistic analysis and engineering judgment. They are often based on statistical data and expert knowledge to ensure that the design is robust and can withstand a range of potential scenarios.

What is the difference between partial factors and safety factors?

Partial factors are used in limit state design, which is a modern approach to structural design that considers the ultimate and serviceability limit states. Safety factors, on the other hand, are used in traditional design methods and are based on a factor of safety that is applied to the ultimate limit state only.

How do partial factors affect the safety of a structure?

Partial factors play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and reliability of a structure. By accounting for uncertainties and variations in design variables, they help to prevent the structure from failing under different loading conditions. They also help to ensure that the structure meets the required design standards and codes.

How do partial factors impact the cost of a project?

Partial factors can have a significant impact on the cost of a project. By considering uncertainties and variations, they may result in a more conservative design, which could increase the cost of materials and construction. However, a more reliable and safe structure can also lead to cost savings in the long run by reducing the need for repairs and maintenance.