How useful is a symbolic calculation tool?

In summary: They are definitely worth learning if one needs to do a lot of symbolic calculations.In summary, symbolic tools like Mathematica and Maple are easy to learn and use, but they are not for everyone. If you use symbolic calculations frequently, then it is worth learning them.
accdd
How often during your work do you use a symbolic calculation tool like Mathematica / Maple / SymPy? Is it worth learning(especially for a theoretical physicist)? Thank you.

Likes jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
When you need them, they are definitely worth the small amount of work to learn. I have only used them a few times on very long equations that would have driven me crazy trying to manipulate. Mathematica and Maple are easy to learn and use. I have never used Sympy and am not familiar with it.

Last edited:
Likes robphy, jedishrfu, accdd and 1 other person
I used mathematica and custom made packages for it on an almost daily basis for my PhD thesis

Likes berkeman, jedishrfu and accdd
accdd said:
How often during your work do you use a symbolic calculation tool like Mathematica / Maple / SymPy? Is it worth learning(especially for a theoretical physicist)? Thank you.
For symbolic calculations, I, personally, find that MATLAB is far better than SymPy. On the other hand, most scientists prefer Mathematica for symbolic calculations. If your work entails plenty of symbolic calculations, then probably Mathematica should be the preferred tool.

Note that I haven't used Mathematica, so take my words with a grain of salt. There are people here who have used it and will be able to give better advice. I have MATLAB and mostly use it for numerical work, but when needed, MATLAB's symbolic libraries have met my needs.

And it's definitely worth learning these tools.

Likes jedishrfu, FactChecker and accdd
A symbolic tool can be much better than spending hours on manipulation, then days checking your work, only to spot a mistake two weeks after sending it out. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Likes SolarisOne, robphy, accdd and 1 other person
I use an ancient version of MathCad* for that, and OMG, I couldn't live without it for complex algebra, trig, and such. In my world of engineering, you have to check your work all by yourself, there's no answer key and being wrong is expensive in many different ways (mostly wasted time, which we don't have). Humans, especially me, I think, make mistakes. It's a simple way to check derivations.

*No, I'm not recommending it. But I know it and have it and it works well enough.

Likes accdd, FactChecker and Wrichik Basu
DaveE said:
I use an ancient version of MathCad* for that, and OMG, I couldn't live without it for complex algebra, trig, and such. In my world of engineering, you have to check your work all by yourself, there's no answer key and being wrong is expensive in many different ways (mostly wasted time, which we don't have). Humans, especially me, I think, make mistakes. It's a simple way to check derivations.

*No, I'm not recommending it. But I know it and have it and it works well enough.
I used MathCad for a while long ago and loved it. It checked units for compatibility and allowed easy mixing of text with calculations. I miss it. I thought that it would lead the way to better math tools, but it was just ignored.

Likes I like Serena and DaveE
FactChecker said:
I used MathCad for a while long ago and loved it. It checked units for compatibility and allowed easy mixing of text with calculations. I miss it. I thought that it would lead the way to better math tools, but it was just ignored.
You can still buy it. $700.

Likes FactChecker
DaveE said:
You can still buy it. $700.
Actually, I think I did long ago. I don't need it now. I just thought that some of its great features would become a trend. Instead, we regressed.

Maxima is free and still works. For most simple algebra problems it does just fine.

In my experience, one learns to use the tools that are easily accessible. As a grad student, my school’s site license was for Maple… so I learned to use Maple. (For symbolic calculations, I am more comfortable with Maple than I am with Mathematica or Matlab.)

These days as a faculty member, I want to learn to use more freely available tools… so I can encourage students to use them. (If one needs something more specialized that’s only available in maple, mathematica, matlab, etc…. then move toward that afterwards.)

I use such tools on occasion… maybe twice a week for general tasks… more often if I am working on a specific problem.

Last edited:
Likes accdd

1. How does a symbolic calculation tool work?

A symbolic calculation tool uses algorithms and rules to manipulate and solve mathematical expressions or equations symbolically, rather than numerically. This means that the tool can handle variables, constants, and exact values instead of approximations.

2. What are the advantages of using a symbolic calculation tool?

One advantage is that it can handle complex equations and expressions that may be difficult or time-consuming to solve manually. It can also provide multiple solutions and simplify expressions. Additionally, it can be used for a wide range of mathematical operations, including calculus, algebra, and trigonometry.

3. Are there any limitations to using a symbolic calculation tool?

Some limitations include the inability to solve certain types of equations or expressions, such as those with infinite solutions or solutions involving transcendental functions. Additionally, the tool may not always produce the most simplified or intuitive solutions, and may require some manual input or interpretation.

4. How can a symbolic calculation tool be useful in scientific research?

A symbolic calculation tool can greatly assist in analyzing and solving complex mathematical problems, which are often encountered in scientific research. It can also help in generating equations and models for data analysis, and in verifying and checking the accuracy of calculations.

5. Are there any specific programs or software for symbolic calculations?

Yes, there are many symbolic calculation tools and software available, such as Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB. Some of these are general purpose tools, while others are specifically designed for scientific research and have additional features and capabilities.