How will the doctor decide to operate on Mr. Peter?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary: Diabetic)$$Since we know that Mr. Peter is not diabetic, the probability that he has the disease is $0.99\cdot x$.Now, if Mr. Peter remembers that he is diabetic, the probability that he has the disease is $1-0.4x$. In other words, his probability of having the disease decreases from 99% to 88%.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We assume that for a particular illness, a doctor recommends a dangerous surgery if, after a clinical examination and by laboratory tests, he is 80% sure that his patient suffers from it, or, in other case, he recommends further costly examinations. Laboratory tests make a good diagnosis in 99% of cases for non-diabetics and in 70% of cases for diabetics.

After a clinical examination, the doctor is 60% sure that Mr Peter suffers from the disease. Laboratory tests that have a positive result (for the disease) are also done.
Will the doctor operate Mr. Peter, believing that Mr. Peter is not diabetic, or will he recommend further tests?
What will the doctor do if Mr. Peter after the results remembers that he is diabetic? Could you give me a hint how we could check that?

Let $x$ be the probability that the patient suffers from the disease.

In the first case we consider that Mr Peter is not diabetic. Then the probability that he is ill, believing that he is non-diabetic is equal to $0.99\cdot x+0.01\cdot (1-x)$ and this must be equal to the estimation of the docrot, i.e. $0.99\cdot x+0.01\cdot (1-x)=0.6$.

Is this correct?

At the case where Mr Peter remembers that he is diabetic, do we have that $0.7\cdot x+0.3\cdot (1-x)=0.6$ ? Or have I understood wrong the exercise statement? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

We assume that for a particular illness, a doctor recommends a dangerous surgery if, after a clinical examination and by laboratory tests, he is 80% sure that his patient suffers from it, or, in other case, he recommends further costly examinations. Laboratory tests make a good diagnosis in 99% of cases for non-diabetics and in 70% of cases for diabetics.

After a clinical examination, the doctor is 60% sure that Mr Peter suffers from the disease. Laboratory tests that have a positive result (for the disease) are also done.
Will the doctor operate Mr. Peter, believing that Mr. Peter is not diabetic, or will he recommend further tests?
What will the doctor do if Mr. Peter after the results remembers that he is diabetic? Could you give me a hint how we could check that?

Let $x$ be the probability that the patient suffers from the disease.

In the first case we consider that Mr Peter is not diabetic. Then the probability that he is ill, believing that he is non-diabetic is equal to $0.99\cdot x+0.01\cdot (1-x)$ and this must be equal to the estimation of the docrot, i.e. $0.99\cdot x+0.01\cdot (1-x)=0.6$.

Is this correct?

At the case where Mr Peter remembers that he is diabetic, do we have that $0.7\cdot x+0.3\cdot (1-x)=0.6$ ? Or have I understood wrong the exercise statement? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

I read it as:
P(Ill | positive clinical test) = 60%
P(Ill | positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 99%

So:
P(¬Ill | positive clinical test) = 40%
P(¬Ill | positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 1%

Assuming independence of the clinical test and the laboratory test, I think that means:
P(¬Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 40% x 1% = 0.4%

Thus:
P(Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 99.6% > 80%And if Mr. Peter is diabetic, this becomes:
P(Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND diabetic) = 1 - 40% x 30% = 88% > 80%
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
I read it as:
P(Ill | positive clinical test) = 60%
P(Ill | positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 99%

So:
P(¬Ill | positive clinical test) = 40%
P(¬Ill | positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 1%

Assuming independence of the clinical test and the laboratory test, I think that means:
P(¬Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 40% x 1% = 0.4%

Thus:
P(Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) = 99.6% > 80%And if Mr. Peter is diabetic, this becomes:
P(Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND diabetic) = 1 - 40% x 30% = 88% > 80%
(Thinking)
So, we have that \begin{align*}P&(\text{Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic}) \\ &= 1 - \text{P(¬Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic) } \\ & = 1 - \text{P(¬Ill | positive clinical test)*P(¬Ill | positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic)}\end{align*} right? Why do we not take \begin{align*}P&(\text{Ill | positive clinical test AND positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic}) \\ & = \text{P(Ill | positive clinical test)*P(Ill | positive laboratory test AND non-diabetic)}\end{align*} ? Why is this wrong?

(Wondering)

Actually, I think we shouldn't calculate it in either way.
We can't treat the conditional part that way.

Let's look at it differently.

First off, given that Mr. Peter is a non-diabetic, we have a good diagnostic result of the laboratory test of 99%.
I'm interpreting it to mean that sensitivity and specificity of the test are both 99%.
That is:
$$P(\text{Positive laboratory test} \mid Ill) = P(\lnot\text{Positive laboratory test} \mid \lnot Ill) = 99\% \tag 1$$

Now, based on the clinical test, we know that Mr. Peter is in a population where 60% has the illness.
That is:
$$P(Ill) = 60\%\tag 2$$

So within the given population (positive clinical test and non-diabetics), and assuming independence of the clinical test and the laboratory test, we want to know:
$$P(Ill \mid +) = P(Ill \mid \text{Positive laboratory test}) = \quad ?$$

From Bayes' theorem we get:
$$\begin{aligned}P(Ill\mid +) &= \frac{P(+\mid Ill) P(Ill)}{P(+)}
= \frac{P(+\mid Ill) P(Ill)}{P(+\mid Ill) P(Ill)+P(+\mid \lnot Ill) P(\lnot Ill)} \\
&= \frac{P(+\mid Ill) P(Ill)}{P(+\mid Ill) P(Ill)+\Big(1 - P(-\mid \lnot Ill)\Big)\Big(1 - P(Ill)\Big)} \\
&= \frac{0.99 \times 0.60}{0.99 \times 0.60 +(1 - 0.99) \times (1 - 0.60)} \\
&= 99\% > 80\%
\end{aligned}\tag 3$$
Thus the doctor will recommend to operate on Mr. Peter.

Redoing this assuming that Mr. Peter is diabetic, we get:
$$\begin{aligned}P(Ill\mid +)
&= \frac{0.70 \times 0.60}{0.70 \times 0.60 +(1 - 0.70) \times (1 - 0.60)} \\
&= 78\% < 80\%
\end{aligned}\tag 4$$
In other words, the doctor will recommend further costly examinations.

I understand! Thank you so much! (Sun)

1. How does the doctor determine the right treatment for my condition?

The doctor will consider several factors when deciding on the best treatment for your condition. This may include your medical history, the severity of your condition, any underlying health issues, and the potential side effects of different treatments. They may also consult with other medical professionals or refer to current research and guidelines.

2. Will the doctor use any tests or procedures to make a diagnosis?

In many cases, the doctor will use tests or procedures to help them make a diagnosis. This may include physical exams, blood tests, imaging tests, or biopsies. These tests can provide valuable information and help the doctor determine the most effective treatment plan for you.

3. How long will it take for the doctor to make a decision?

The length of time it takes for the doctor to make a decision will depend on the complexity of your condition and the availability of test results. In some cases, a diagnosis and treatment plan can be determined quickly, while in others it may take several appointments and tests.

4. Can I have input in the decision-making process?

Absolutely! As a patient, you have the right to be involved in the decision-making process and to ask questions or express any concerns you may have. The doctor will consider your input and work with you to find the best treatment plan that meets your individual needs.

5. Is it possible that the doctor's decision may change over time?

Yes, in some cases the doctor's decision may change over time. This could be due to new information or changes in your condition. It's important to have regular follow-up appointments with your doctor to monitor your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.