How would I go about creating a computer simulation for a Space Elevator?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a computer simulation of a Space Elevator and the potential challenges in accurately representing the effects of different construction materials and the gravitational field. The participants also suggest using calculations or a spreadsheet to determine the necessary strength to weight ratio for the elevator. The conversation also touches on the importance of programming skills and understanding calculus in order to successfully simulate such a complex project.
EagarToLearn
I want to create a computer simulation of the Space Elevator, simulating if different materials would be able to handle the tension, and whether the whole thing would be able to function efficiently through the gravitational field.

Anyone how I can go about doing this, and what software to use? :/

Astronomy news on Phys.org
"efficiently through the gravitational field"? I'm not sure what you can mean by that.

Before launching into a simulation (which might only be a rotating disc with a line from it to a smaller orbiting disc, several radii distant(?). It would be an idea to do some calculations with density, modulus and tensile strength first. That would be what determines whether the thing would collapse or the end would go spinning off into orbit. Or was that what you wanted to simulate? Could be entertaining. You would have to be a but outrageous about choosing the physical properties for the tether because nothing strong enough exists yet.

sophiecentaur said:
"efficiently through the gravitational field"? I'm not sure what you can mean by that.

Before launching into a simulation (which might only be a rotating disc with a line from it to a smaller orbiting disc, several radii distant(?). It would be an idea to do some calculations with density, modulus and tensile strength first. That would be what determines whether the thing would collapse or the end would go spinning off into orbit. Or was that what you wanted to simulate? Could be entertaining. You would have to be a but outrageous about choosing the physical properties for the tether because nothing strong enough exists yet.

That's exactly it, I know nothing strong enough exists for the tether, but basically I want to create a simulation for different construction materials, [of course I plan on working out the properties such as tensile stress, density and modulus]. I don't really mind if the simulation doesn't actually show the end go spinning off into orbit. I just want it to display the reason certain materials would not work in the simulation.

I think I need to state that I am 17 years old heading into my second year of College, this is a completely new world I am exploring but this is a little project I set myself as I'm very interested in it.

I should have thought that you need a calculation rather than a simulation. You may find calculating the tension on the tether a bit hard as each piece will have a different weight (the more distant parts being around 40Mm from the Earth's centre. Have you any Calculus?

Start by learning to program. Come back in 2-3 years. I'm sorry, I cannot be more constructive on this. That's pretty much how it is if you want to be able to simulate something.

sophiecentaur said:
I should have thought that you need a calculation rather than a simulation. You may find calculating the tension on the tether a bit hard as each piece will have a different weight (the more distant parts being around 40Mm from the Earth's centre. Have you any Calculus?
I agree that a calculation is what is needed. You can easily use a spreadsheet to calculate loads at regular intervals along the length of the elevator. I wouldn't even bother with the anchor: just assume the end is attached to "something" in geostationary orbit. This will give you an ide of the kind of strength to weight ratio needed.

Last edited:
Excel. Of course. It's what I do often for that sort of problem. Just think of a suitable expression for the forces on one piece at a height of, say 10km and then replicate 4,000 times.

Related to How would I go about creating a computer simulation for a Space Elevator?

1. How does a space elevator work?

A space elevator is a proposed method of transporting objects from Earth's surface to outer space. It consists of a cable or tether attached to a counterweight in geostationary orbit, which keeps the cable taut. The counterweight acts as a balancing force against the weight of the elevator and its cargo. The elevator would use a combination of electricity and magnetism to propel climbers up and down the cable.

2. What are the main challenges in creating a computer simulation for a space elevator?

The main challenges include accurately modeling the physical forces and materials involved, such as gravity, tension, and potential collisions. The simulation must also take into account variables like weather conditions and external disturbances. Additionally, creating a realistic visual representation of the elevator and its surroundings requires advanced graphics and rendering techniques.

3. What software or programming language should I use for the simulation?

There are several options for creating a computer simulation for a space elevator. Some popular software programs include MATLAB, Simulink, and ANSYS. Alternatively, you could use a programming language like Python, Java, or C++ to code your own simulation from scratch. The best choice will depend on your specific needs and level of expertise.

4. What data or inputs are needed for an accurate simulation?

An accurate simulation will require data on the physical properties and behavior of the materials used for the elevator, as well as the forces and variables involved. This data can be obtained from scientific research, real-world experiments, and mathematical equations. It is important to use realistic and reliable data to ensure the accuracy of the simulation.

5. How can I validate the results of the simulation?

To validate the results of the simulation, you can compare them to real-world data or observations. This could include data from existing space elevators, if available, or data from other similar structures such as suspension bridges. Additionally, you can run the simulation multiple times with different inputs and compare the results to ensure consistency and accuracy.