How would weather differ on a planet with a longer day?

In summary, on the World Building stack exchange, a hypothetical question was posed about the longest reasonable day length. Suggestions for a 100 hour day were given, with considerations for the impact on different climates and weather patterns. The potential effects of slower rotation on coriolis forces and cyclonic storms were also discussed. A request for a good exometeorology simulator was made. The conversation then shifted to a discussion about coriolis and centrifugal forces. A reference was provided, and it was noted that these forces are considered "real" in a rotating reference system.
Sherwood Botsford
Hypothetical question that came up in World Building stack exchange.

The question asked for what the longest reasonable day length would be.

I thought that a 100 hour day:
* Afternoons in what are now hot deserts would be uninhabitable.
* Frost traps in more polar climates would be difficult.
* Higher temperature swings would result in a huge (yuge?) afternoon thunderstorms.

Now I started to get on thin ice.

With a slower rotation, coriolis forces will be smaller. Would this make cyclonic storms larger?

Would the hadley circulation change -- fewer, but larger cells. Bigger weather system that moved more slowly?

Anyone point me to a good exometeorology simulator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sherwood Botsford said:
Hypothetical question that came up in World Building stack exchange.

The question asked for what the longest reasonable day length would be.

I thought that a 100 hour day:
* Afternoons in what are now hot deserts would be uninhabitable.
* Frost traps in more polar climates would be difficult.
* Higher temperature swings would result in a huge (yuge?) afternoon thunderstorms.

Now I started to get on thin ice.

With a slower rotation, coriolis forces will be smaller. Would this make cyclonic storms larger?

Would the hadley circulation change -- fewer, but larger cells. Bigger weather system that moved more slowly?

Anyone point me to a good exometeorology simulator?
I though coriolis force and centrifugal force were in the same group - non-existent ficticious forces.
The coriolis affect and centrifugal effect maybe, but not force.

1. How would a longer day affect the temperature on a planet?

A longer day would likely result in a greater temperature difference between the day and night sides of the planet. This is because the longer exposure to sunlight on the day side would cause it to heat up more, while the longer period of darkness on the night side would allow it to cool down more.

2. Would a longer day lead to more extreme weather patterns?

It is possible that a longer day could result in more extreme weather patterns, as the temperature differences between the day and night sides could lead to stronger winds and more intense storms. However, other factors such as the planet's atmosphere and geography would also play a significant role in determining its weather patterns.

3. How would a longer day affect the length of seasons on a planet?

A longer day would likely result in longer seasons on the planet, as the longer exposure to sunlight would cause the temperature to change more gradually. This would also depend on the planet's axial tilt and its distance from its star, which would also affect the length of its seasons.

4. Would a longer day have any impact on precipitation levels?

Yes, a longer day could potentially affect precipitation levels on a planet. The longer exposure to sunlight on the day side could lead to more evaporation, which could result in increased precipitation on the night side. This could also lead to more extreme weather patterns, such as heavy rain on the night side and drought on the day side.

5. How would a longer day impact the habitability of a planet?

The impact of a longer day on a planet's habitability would depend on various factors, such as the planet's distance from its star, its atmosphere, and its geography. A longer day could potentially lead to more extreme weather patterns, which could make the planet less hospitable for life. However, other factors such as the presence of water and a stable atmosphere would also play a significant role in determining a planet's habitability.