Human Resistance vs. Circuit Conductors

anissbenthami
TL;DR Summary
Why do I get electrically shocked when I touch a circuit knowing that the human body has a higher resistance than conductors in circuits and current tends to flow through the path of least resistance?
Have you ever wondered why you can get an electric shock when touching a circuit, even though the human body has a higher resistance than the conductors in circuits? It goes against my belief that electricity always follows the path of least resistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anissbenthami said:
It goes against my belief that electricity always follows the path of least resistance.
That belief is false. Current flows anywhere there is a path available, but it flows according to the resistance of the path; higher resistance means less current, lower resistance means higher current.

The resistance of the body may have a higher resistance than the circuit involved, but it only takes a few milliamps of current to induce a "shock".

• Informative
Likes anissbenthami
Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

You can work out the ratio of wattage that will pass through both paths of this circuit simultaneously.
1694029634945.png

Not a lot will pass through R2. But it won't be zero.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DaveE and anissbenthami
DaveC426913 said:
You can work out the ratio of wattage that will pass through both paths of this circuit simultaneously.
View attachment 331607
Not a lot will pass through R2. But it won't be zero.
So I will be considered as a parallel resistance in the circuit

Likes DaveC426913
anissbenthami said:
So I will be considered as a parallel resistance in the circuit
Exactly.

1. What is human resistance?

Human resistance refers to the body's ability to resist or fight against external threats, such as diseases, infections, and foreign substances. It is a complex system involving various components, including the immune system, skin, and mucous membranes.

2. What are circuit conductors?

Circuit conductors are materials that allow electricity to pass through them easily. They are typically made of metals, such as copper or aluminum, and are used to create electrical circuits in various devices and systems.

3. How do human resistance and circuit conductors relate?

Human resistance and circuit conductors are two different concepts that do not have a direct relationship. However, in some cases, human resistance may be affected by exposure to electricity, such as in cases of electrical shock or burns.

4. Can circuit conductors affect human health?

Yes, circuit conductors can affect human health if they are not used properly or if there is a malfunction in the electrical system. Exposure to electricity can cause serious injuries, such as burns, cardiac arrest, and nerve damage.

5. How can we protect ourselves from the potential dangers of circuit conductors?

To protect ourselves from the potential dangers of circuit conductors, we should always follow safety precautions when working with electricity. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring that all electrical equipment is properly installed and maintained. It is also important to seek immediate medical attention in case of an electrical injury.