HUP for spin seems violated: 0 x sy > sz/2...?

• I
  • Thread starter JBlue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hup Spin
In summary, the HUP for spins reads that if we measure the spin of a particle then we can know its value exactly, but this implies that the uncertainty in the spin is infinite.
JBlue
TL;DR Summary
After measuring Sx, we know its state exactly. This seems to violate Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (HUP).
HUP for spins reads
$$\langle\sigma_z^2\rangle\langle\sigma_x^2\rangle \ge \frac{1}{4}|\langle\sigma_y\rangle|^2$$
Right after measuring ##\sigma_z##, we know it exactly, and so ##\langle\sigma_z^2\rangle=0##.
However, HUP then implies that ##\langle\sigma_y^2\rangle=\infty##

Even if we say that the uncertainty isn't ##0## but some small ##\epsilon##, we still get a ##\langle\sigma_y^2\rangle## that is very large, though it shouldn't be greater than ##\hbar##.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, considering a state ##|z^+\rangle##, I get the following quantities

##\sigma_x=1##
##\sigma_z=0##
##\sigma_x\sigma_z = 0##
##\frac{1}{2}|\langle\left[S_x,S_z\right]\rangle| = 0##
##\therefore \sigma_x\sigma_z \geq \frac{1}{2}|\langle\left[S_x,S_z\right]\rangle| = 0##

[edit] - So this is the the Robertson uncertainty relation. I also tested it for the schroedinger uncertainty relation and I also get ##0\geq0##

Last edited:
Likes JBlue and topsquark
JBlue said:
TL;DR Summary: After measuring Sx, we know its state exactly. This seems to violate Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (HUP).

HUP for spins reads
$$\langle\sigma_z^2\rangle\langle\sigma_x^2\rangle \ge \frac{1}{4}|\langle\sigma_y\rangle|^2$$
Right after measuring ##\sigma_z##, we know it exactly, and so ##\langle\sigma_z^2\rangle=0##.
However, HUP then implies that ##\langle\sigma_y^2\rangle=\infty##

Even if we say that the uncertainty isn't ##0## but some small ##\epsilon##, we still get a ##\langle\sigma_y^2\rangle## that is very large, though it shouldn't be greater than ##\hbar##.

What am I missing?
Let's see. You prepared the system in an eigenstate of ##s_x##, say in the eigenstate with ##\sigma_x=\hbar/2##. In the usual ##\hat{s}_z## eigenbasis, ##|\pm 1/2 \rangle##, it's
$$|\sigma_x=\hbar/2 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|1/2 \rangle +|-1/2 \rangle).$$
This gives
$$\langle \sigma_z \rangle=\langle \sigma_x =1/2|\hat{s}_z|\sigma_x=1/2 \rangle=0,$$
and
$$\langle \sigma_z^2 \rangle = \langle \sigma_x =1/2|\hat{s}_z^2|\sigma_x=1/2 \rangle=\hbar^2/4,$$
i.e.,
$$\Delta \sigma_z=\hbar/2.$$
In the same way you also get
$$\Delta \sigma_y=\hbar/2.$$
The HUP states that
$$\delta \sigma_y \Delta \sigma_z \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} |\langle (-\mathrm{i}) [\hat{s}_y,\hat{s}_z] \rangle|.$$
Now ##[\hat{s}_y,\hat{s}_z]=\mathrm{i} \hat{s}_x##. The expectation value on the right-hand side of our HUP thus is ##\hbar/2## and thus the right-hand side gives ##\hbar^2/4##, i.e., the HUP is valid with the equality sign.

If you want to apply the HUP to ##s_x## and ##s_z## you get ##0## on the left-hand side of the HUP, because you prepared an eigenstate of ##s_x## and thus ##\Delta s_z=0##. Then the HUP is of course always fulfilled. Of course it's not ##\langle s_z^2 \rangle## you have to use on the lefthand side of the HUP but the standard deviation, ##\Delta s_z##, which is defined as
$$\Delta s_z^2=\langle s_z^2 \rangle-\langle s_z \rangle^2.$$

Likes JBlue and topsquark
Thanks, vanhees71, for walking through the example.
I had a silly confusion that is now perfectly cleared up!

Likes vanhees71

1. What is HUP for spin violation?

HUP (Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle) for spin violation refers to a violation of the principle that states that the more precisely the spin of a particle is measured in one direction, the less precisely it can be measured in another direction. In the case of HUP for spin violation, the measured spin in one direction is found to be greater than the maximum allowed value in another direction.

2. Why is HUP for spin violation important?

HUP for spin violation is important because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It suggests that there may be limitations to our ability to measure certain properties of particles, and raises questions about the nature of spin and its relationship to other physical quantities.

3. How is HUP for spin violation observed?

HUP for spin violation is typically observed through experiments that involve measuring the spin of particles in different directions. If the measured spin in one direction is found to be greater than the maximum allowed value in another direction, it indicates a violation of HUP for spin.

4. What are the implications of HUP for spin violation?

The implications of HUP for spin violation are still being studied and debated by scientists. Some theories suggest that it may lead to a better understanding of the nature of spin and its relationship to other physical quantities, while others propose that it may require a modification of our current understanding of quantum mechanics.

5. Can HUP for spin violation be explained by other theories?

There are some alternative theories that attempt to explain HUP for spin violation, such as hidden variable theories. However, these theories are not widely accepted and do not fully explain the phenomenon. Therefore, HUP for spin violation remains an open question in the field of quantum mechanics.