Exact dynamics of spin in varying magnetic field

In summary, we discussed the evolution of a spin-1/2 particle moving in a magnetic field and subjected to a sudden, weak magnetic field in a certain length of its path. We derived the probability of the spin flipping after a certain time using perturbation theory, but questioned the validity of our approach. We then showed that the assumption of the state remaining continuous over the sudden perturbation was indeed correct, leading to the correct result in the perturbative limit.
KDPhysics
TL;DR Summary
Can one use the Schrodinger picture propagator for a sudden, constant perturbation?
Consider an uncharged particle with spin one-half moving with speed ##v## in a region with magnetic field ##\textbf{B}=B\textbf{e}_z##. In a certain length ##L## of the particle's path, there is an additional, weak magnetic field ##\textbf{B}_\perp=B_\perp \textbf{e}_x##. Assuming the electron has magnetic moment ##\mu## then
$$
H(t) = H_0 + V(t)
$$
where ##H_0=-\mu B \sigma_z## and
$$
V(t)=\begin{cases}
-\mu B_\perp \sigma_x, \ \text{ for } 0<t<l/v\\
0, \ \text { otherwise}
\end{cases}
$$
Assuming the particle starts out in the ##|+\rangle## state (spin-up along the ##z##-axis) then I found using perturbation theory that the probability that the spin flips to ##|-\rangle## after time ##t>L/v## is
$$
P(t>L/v) = \bigg[\frac{B_\perp}{B}\sin\bigg(\frac{\mu B L}{\hbar v}\bigg)\bigg]^2
$$
I am wondering how I could derive the result without assuming that ##B_\perp\ll B##?

My first instinct was to use the propagator to evolve the state from ##t=0## to ##t=L/v##:
\begin{align}
&e^{-iH(t)t/\hbar} = e^{i\mu\textbf{B}\cdot \boldsymbol{\sigma}t/\hbar} = \cos \bigg(\frac{\mu B't}{\hbar}\bigg)\mathbb{1}+i\sin \bigg(\frac{\mu B't}{\hbar}\bigg)\frac{B\sigma_z+B_\perp \sigma_z}{B'}\\
\implies & |+(t)\rangle = \cos \bigg(\frac{\mu B't}{\hbar}\bigg)|+\rangle+i\sin \bigg(\frac{\mu B't}{\hbar}\bigg)\frac{B|+\rangle+B_\perp |-\rangle}{B'}\\
\implies & |\langle-|+(t)\rangle|^2 = \bigg[\frac{B_\perp}{B'}\sin \bigg(\frac{\mu B't}{\hbar}\bigg)\bigg]^2
\end{align}
where ##B'=\sqrt{B^2+B_\perp^2}##. Taking the ##B_\perp/B<<1## limit (perturbative limit) then I recover
$$
P(t>L/v) = \bigg[\frac{B_\perp}{B}\sin\bigg(\frac{\mu B L}{\hbar v}\bigg)\bigg]^2
$$
as desired.

However, I'm not entirely sure if my approach of using the Schrödinger picture propagator ##U(t)=e^{-iHt/\hbar}## is correct. Indeed since ##H(t<0)## does not commute with ##H(t>0)##, there is no guarantee that the ##|+\rangle## state at time ##t=0^-## will not immediately jump and transition to some other state at ##t=0^+##, implying that assuming the state will be ##|+\rangle## at ##t=0^+## could be wrong. Why did my argument still yield the correct result?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like I overlooked the simple fact that the state cannot change during a sudden, ##\textit{finite}## perturbation, so I was right in assuming that the spin would be ##|+\rangle## at ##t=0^+##.

To understand why the system's state must be continuous over the sudden perturbation in the Hamiltonian, we can write
\begin{cases}
i\hbar \frac{d}{dt}|\psi(t)\rangle = H_0 |\psi(t)\rangle, \ &t<0\\
i\hbar \frac{d}{dt}|\psi(t)\rangle = (H_0+V) |\psi(t)\rangle, \ &t>0
\end{cases}
Integrating from ##0^-=-\tau## to ##0^+=\tau## where ##\tau \rightarrow 0## then
$$
i\hbar(|\psi(\tau)\rangle-|\psi(-\tau)\rangle) = \int_{-\tau}^0 H_0 |\psi(t)\rangle \ dt + \int_0^\tau (H_0+V)|\psi(t)\rangle \ dt
$$
Since ##|\psi(t)\rangle## has to be continuous over ##(-\tau,0)## and ##(0,\tau)##, we can apply the Mean Value Theorem, which states that there must be some ##\tau_-\in(-\tau,0)## and some ##\tau_+\in(0,\tau)## such that
$$
\int_{-\tau}^0 H_0 |\psi(t)\rangle \ dt + \int_0^\tau (H_0+V)|\psi(t)\rangle \ dt = \tau (H_0|\psi(\tau_-)\rangle + (H_0+V)|\psi(\tau_+)\rangle)
$$
Taking the limit as ##\tau \rightarrow 0## we find that
$$
\lim_{\tau \rightarrow 0} (|\psi(\tau)\rangle-|\psi(-\tau)\rangle) = \frac{i}{\hbar}\lim_{\tau \rightarrow 0}\tau[H_0|\psi(\tau_-)\rangle + (H_0+V)|\psi(\tau_+)\rangle] = 0
$$
implying that ##|\psi(0^+)\rangle = |\psi(0^-)\rangle## (assuming ##V_0## is finite).

What is spin in relation to magnetism?

Spin is a quantum mechanical property of particles, such as electrons, that can be thought of as the intrinsic angular momentum of the particle. It is one of the fundamental properties that gives rise to magnetism.

How does spin behave in a varying magnetic field?

In a varying magnetic field, the spin of a particle will precess, or rotate, around the direction of the magnetic field. The exact behavior of this precession is described by the equations of motion for the spin.

What factors affect the dynamics of spin in a varying magnetic field?

The dynamics of spin in a varying magnetic field can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the properties of the particle (such as its mass and charge), and any interactions with other particles or fields.

How is the exact dynamics of spin in a varying magnetic field calculated?

The exact dynamics of spin in a varying magnetic field can be calculated using the equations of motion for the spin, which take into account the various factors that affect spin behavior. These equations can be solved numerically or analytically to determine the precise behavior of the spin over time.

What are some applications of understanding the exact dynamics of spin in a varying magnetic field?

Understanding the exact dynamics of spin in a varying magnetic field is crucial for many technological applications, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic data storage. It also has implications in fundamental physics, as it helps us understand the behavior of particles and the nature of magnetism at a quantum level.