Hydrocarbon Units: ppmC vs ppmC3 vs ppmC6

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's struggle to understand the units ppmC, ppmC3, and ppmC6 related to pollution emission, specifically in terms of hydrocarbon concentration expressed as methane, propane, and hexane. The individual is unsure if these units only measure the respective hydrocarbon concentration or if there is a way to differentiate between the contributions of each component. The conversation also mentions a potential method for speciating hydrocarbon components in a mixture, but notes that the meaning of C2, C3, and C6 may differ depending on the context.
chingkui
I am working on a project about pollution emission, but I am not a chemist. I am seeing the units ppmC, ppmC3 and ppmC6 almost everyday, and I have trouble understanding what they stand for. The only definition I get is "Parts per million hydrocarbon concentration expressed as methane (for ppmC)/propane (for ppmC3)/hexane (for ppmC6)". I have no trouble with the meaning of "part per million" at all, what I don't understand is whether using, for example ppmC3 means only propane concentration is measured? or is it something else? Is there a method to tell apart the methane, propane and hexane contribution to the hydrocarbon concentration? Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What are hydrocarbon units?

Hydrocarbon units refer to the number of carbon atoms in a molecule of a particular hydrocarbon compound.

2. What does ppmC stand for?

ppmC stands for parts per million of carbon atoms. It is a unit used to measure the concentration of a specific hydrocarbon compound in a mixture.

3. What is the difference between ppmC and ppmC3?

ppmC and ppmC3 both refer to the concentration of carbon atoms in a mixture, but ppmC3 specifically refers to the concentration of carbon atoms in molecules with three carbon atoms, such as propane.

4. How is ppmC6 different from ppmC?

ppmC6 refers to the concentration of carbon atoms in molecules with six carbon atoms, such as hexane. It is different from ppmC, which is a more general measurement of carbon atoms in a mixture of hydrocarbons.

5. Why are ppmC, ppmC3, and ppmC6 important in the study of hydrocarbons?

These units are important because they can help us determine the composition and concentration of different hydrocarbon compounds in a mixture. This information is crucial for understanding the properties and behaviors of hydrocarbons and their impact on the environment.