Hydrogen Electron Transitions (Allowed/Forbidden)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining if electron transitions are allowed or forbidden using transition rules. The equations for angular momentum and energy changes are mentioned and the steps for checking against the rules are provided. It is noted that transition (i) is forbidden due to violating conservation of energy.
A R

Homework Statement

Determine if the electron transitions are "allowed" or "forbidden" using the transition rules:
i. 2p→2s
ii. 1s→2p
iii. 3d→2p
iv. 3d→1s
v. 4s→2p

Homework Equations

Δl = ±1, Δml= 0, ±1
E = (-2.18*10-18eV)(1/n12 - 1/n22)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know iv. is forbidden because Δl is greater than 1, but what about the others? If i. is allowed then the energy is 0eV, which I think is not possible because photos are emitted. May anyone please offer a brief explanation to why it is allowed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just write out the angular momentum and energy (quantum number) changes for each transition, and, as you have been doing, check the numbers against the rules. It is usually easier to think in terms of eliminating the transitions that are not allowed.

Good observation that (i) violates conservation of energy.

Likes A R
Simon Bridge said:
Just write out the angular momentum and energy (quantum number) changes for each transition, and, as you have been doing, check the numbers against the rules. It is usually easier to think in terms of eliminating the transitions that are not allowed.

Good observation that (i) violates conservation of energy.

Great, I will follow your steps! I did not know whether (i) is allowed to forbidden, but the explanation is sensible as I did not know it is possible for it to emit photons but with 0eV of energy. Thank you, Simon.

1. What are hydrogen electron transitions?

Hydrogen electron transitions refer to the movement of electrons within a hydrogen atom from one energy level to another. This can occur when the atom absorbs or emits energy in the form of light or heat.

2. What determines whether a hydrogen electron transition is allowed or forbidden?

The selection rules for hydrogen electron transitions are based on the conservation of energy, angular momentum, and parity. Allowed transitions occur when there is a change in the principal quantum number (n) by ±1 and a change in the orbital angular momentum quantum number (l) by ±1. Forbidden transitions occur when these selection rules are not met.

3. How do allowed and forbidden transitions differ in terms of energy and intensity?

Allowed transitions tend to have lower energy and higher intensity than forbidden transitions. This is because allowed transitions involve smaller changes in energy levels and are more likely to occur, while forbidden transitions require larger changes in energy and are less likely to occur.

4. What is the significance of hydrogen electron transitions in spectroscopy?

Hydrogen electron transitions play a crucial role in spectroscopy, as they are responsible for the characteristic spectra of hydrogen. By studying the wavelengths and intensities of the emitted or absorbed light during these transitions, scientists can gain information about the energy levels and structure of the atom.

5. Can hydrogen electron transitions occur between all energy levels?

No, there are certain energy level combinations that do not follow the selection rules and therefore do not allow for electron transitions. For example, transitions between the ground state (n=1) and the excited state (n=2) are allowed, but transitions between n=2 and n=3 are forbidden.