Is a fuel cell technically an energy storage device?

In summary: It relies on a natural gas line to distribute gas. Similarly, your car uses a fuel cell to convert chemical energy from fuel into electrical energy. The electricity is then used to power the car's electric motor. If you want to store hydrogen you need to install an auxiliary tank.
Ryuk1990
I've heard fuel cells being called energy storage devices. However, unlike batteries, they only convert energy. They don't store anything unless you consider the brief moment of converting chemical energy to electrical energy storage time? Are there fuel cell types that store let's say hydrogen without the need of an auxiliary tank?

Another thing, is a fuel cell car technically an electric car? I mean, much like a battery, a fuel cell provides a current to run an electric motor...

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally would not classify a fuel cell as an energy storage device, because unlike a battery it requires a constant outside source of fuel and oxygen to operate. A fuel cell can be one component of an energy storage device, but is not in and of itself in my opinion. As to your other question, the consensus I see is that a fuel cell car is considered by most definitions an electric car. The main point seems to be what is driving the wheels--if it's an electric motor then it's an electric car. This sort of comes down to symantics, however--is a Chevy Volt an electric car when running on its gas engine? Since the engine runs a generator to run the electric motor propulsion system, then the answer is yes by the above definition. This as opposed to a Prius, which if memory serves allows a direct mechanical connection between the gas engine and the wheels and so is called a hybrid. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that...

Last edited:
A fuel cell converts chemical energy from fuel into electrical energy. It is its own type of device. I was going to call it a generator until I looked up what a generator was and realized it converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, which is not what a fuel cell does. Calling a fuel cell an energy storage device is as incorrect as calling a generator an energy storing device.

A fuel cell is one piece of an energy system. It, itself is not storing energy, but the overall system of hydrogen fuel cell energy does. The other components include a tank, a hydrogen generator and either a fossil fuel or electric power plant.

Ryuk1990 said:
Are there fuel cell types that store let's say hydrogen without the need of an auxiliary tank?
That doesn't make sense. Fuel cells and tanks are two different things. Consider this: a gas stove may or my not utilize a local tank.

1. What is a fuel cell?

A fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity. It works by combining a fuel (such as hydrogen) with oxygen to produce electricity, water, and heat.

2. How does a fuel cell store energy?

A fuel cell does not technically store energy, but rather it produces electricity as long as it is supplied with fuel. In this way, it can be considered an energy conversion device rather than a storage device.

3. What types of fuel can be used in a fuel cell?

Fuel cells can use a variety of fuels, including hydrogen, natural gas, methanol, and even biogas from organic waste. However, the most commonly used fuel for fuel cells is hydrogen.

4. Are fuel cells more efficient than traditional energy storage devices?

Fuel cells are generally more efficient than traditional energy storage devices, such as batteries. They can convert fuel into electricity at a higher efficiency, and they can also operate continuously as long as they have a supply of fuel.

5. Can fuel cells be used for large-scale energy storage?

Yes, fuel cells can be used for large-scale energy storage. They can be connected in arrays to provide high levels of power and can be used in conjunction with renewable energy sources to store excess energy for later use.