Hydrogen Spectral Series Question

In summary: Heres what I am having trouble with. My understanding is that these spectral series correspond to energy levels of the hydrogen atom and that these levels are therefore necessarily quantized. However, as one series overlaps another series, the spectral lines of the previous series becomes quazi continuous at lower frequencies. I don't understand how this quazi-continuous nature of one series can be logically compatable with discrete components of another series which it overlaps. I suppose what I am asking is what is the physical significance of n' in the Rydberg formula and the physical significance of the corresponding series. n' = 1 gives you the Lyman series, n' = 2 gives you the Balmer series
Bevels
I do not understand the distinction between the Lyman, Balmer, Pascher series etc. I understand that you calculate the values in each series with the corresponding n' values but I don't understand the need for multiple series. Why can't you have one overarching series that covers the entire spectrum and why would you use one series instead of another? Also, how to the series compare to each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bevels said:
I do not understand the distinction between the Lyman, Balmer, Pascher series etc. I understand that you calculate the values in each series with the corresponding n' values but I don't understand the need for multiple series.

Simple answer: There isn't a need!
They're just named that way because they were discovered experimentally before we knew how it all fits together. It's historic.

Why can't you have one overarching series that covers the entire spectrum and why would you use one series instead of another? Also, how to the series compare to each other?

Well, the different series represent different electronic transitions. But there is an important equation, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_formula" which describes all of them.. I think you've learned of it since you mention the n values. This lead to the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, which explained _why_ you had these levels.

Or, almost. See, it turned out that those lines were not actually single lines, but several lines very close together.. And so they had to add more variables to describe how these levels-within-levels fit together.. and the answer to that eventually came from quantum mechanics.

(Edit: Ooh - My 900th post!)

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
Simple answer: There isn't a need!
They're just named that way because they were discovered experimentally before we knew how it all fits together. It's historic.

Well, the different series represent different electronic transitions. But there is an important equation, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_formula" which describes all of them.. I think you've learned of it since you mention the n values. This lead to the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, which explained _why_ you had these levels.

Or, almost. See, it turned out that those lines were not actually single lines, but several lines very close together.. And so they had to add more variables to describe how these levels-within-levels fit together.. and the answer to that eventually came from quantum mechanics.

(Edit: Ooh - My 900th post!)

Heres what I am having trouble with. My understanding is that these spectral series correspond to energy levels of the hydrogen atom and that these levels are therefore necessarily quantized. However, as one series overlaps another series, the spectral lines of the previous series becomes quazi continuous at lower frequencies. I don't understand how this quazi-continuous nature of one series can be logically compatable with discrete components of another series which it overlaps. I suppose what I am asking is what is the physical significance of n' in the Rydberg formula and the physical significance of the corresponding series. Here is the plot that I am having problems with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hydrogen_spectrum.svg

One series may be quazi-continuous at a frenquency where another series is decidedly discrete. How are these things reconcilable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bevels said:
My understanding is that these spectral series correspond to energy levels of the hydrogen atom and that these levels are therefore necessarily quantized.

Each spectral line corresponds to a transition between two atomic energy levels. The photon energy equals the difference in energy between the two levels. In the formula that you're looking at, n is the quantum number of the initial energy level (before the transition), and n' is the quantum number of the final energy level (after the transition).

n' = 1 gives you the Lyman series, n' = 2 gives you the Balmer series, etc.

Related to Hydrogen Spectral Series Question

What is the Hydrogen Spectral Series?

The Hydrogen Spectral Series is a series of emission lines that appear in the spectrum of hydrogen gas when it is excited by energy. These lines are the result of electrons moving between different energy levels within the atom.

What is the significance of the Hydrogen Spectral Series?

The Hydrogen Spectral Series is significant because it provides evidence for the quantization of energy levels in atoms and is a crucial element in understanding atomic structure. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy and spectroscopy.

How many lines are present in the Hydrogen Spectral Series?

The Hydrogen Spectral Series consists of five distinct lines: the Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, Brackett, and Pfund series. Each series is named after the scientist who first observed and described it.

What is the relationship between the lines in the Hydrogen Spectral Series?

The lines in the Hydrogen Spectral Series are all related to the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. The Lyman series corresponds to transitions from higher energy levels to the first energy level, the Balmer series corresponds to transitions to the second energy level, and so on.

How does the Hydrogen Spectral Series help us understand atomic structure?

The Hydrogen Spectral Series demonstrates that energy levels in atoms are discrete and quantized, rather than continuous. This is a fundamental concept in atomic theory and helps us understand how electrons behave in atoms and how they interact with electromagnetic radiation.